POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vista Updates... *sigh* Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:25:23 EDT (-0400)
  Vista Updates... *sigh* (Message 21 to 30 of 55)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Vista Updates... *sigh*
Date: 28 Aug 2008 07:55:22
Message: <48b6922a$1@news.povray.org>
gregjohn wrote:

> The question then, if Linux is chosen, is which distro is best for guiding your
> Dad in for a landing over the phone.  I've seen Linux big-wigs in forums say,
> "I positively do not care if Linux is ever the right OS for someone's
> grandfather. UNIX never was."  I think I'd stay away from a distro where too
> much say was purists about closed source drivers.  Folks' Dads might not be
> able to roll their own.

I think somebody needs to sit down and write an OS which *is* designed
for people's dads to use.

However, I seriously doubt that anybody is going to do this just because
I say so...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Michael Zier
Date: 28 Aug 2008 08:21:18
Message: <48b6983e$1@news.povray.org>

> I think somebody needs to sit down and write an OS which *is* designed
> for people's dads to use.

IMHO, I'd say that the key obstacle would be the vast diversity of
hardware you can find on people's dads computers. All the different
possibilities drivers may or may not co-operate, not supported hardware,
etc.
And yes, I have your favourite Amiga in mind, when I say that.

(And yes, I own one too, but not your kind of fancy A1200 with HDD and
whatnot. I'm prowd owner of an A500, Kickstart version 1.2, 512kB chip
and 512kb fast ram, OCS and no HDD but additional external floppy drive!
Youngsters...)

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 28 Aug 2008 08:29:05
Message: <48b69a11$1@news.povray.org>
Michael Zier wrote:
>> I think somebody needs to sit down and write an OS which *is* designed
>> for people's dads to use.
>>
> IMHO, I'd say that the key obstacle would be the vast diversity of
> hardware you can find on people's dads computers.

Both Windoze and Linux seem to have got around that, not to mention
MacOS. So it can't be that insurmountable...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Warp
Date: 28 Aug 2008 08:30:57
Message: <48b69a81@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I'd rather keep the job

  You can report anonymously.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 28 Aug 2008 08:33:21
Message: <48b69b11@news.povray.org>
gregjohn <pte### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> The question then, if Linux is chosen, is which distro is best for guiding your
> Dad in for a landing over the phone.  I've seen Linux big-wigs in forums say,
> "I positively do not care if Linux is ever the right OS for someone's
> grandfather. UNIX never was."  I think I'd stay away from a distro where too
> much say was purists about closed source drivers.  Folks' Dads might not be
> able to roll their own.

  Well, you have two options:

1) A computer with an OS which has a steep learning curve.
2) A computer with an OS that doesn't even boot.

  Which of the two options is better?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 28 Aug 2008 08:34:51
Message: <48b69b6b@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> I think somebody needs to sit down and write an OS which *is* designed
> for people's dads to use.

  Apple has already done that. MacOS has been always designed to be very
easy for average persons to use (unlike Windows, no matter how much MS and
Windows fanatics lie about this).

  But of course Apple is never an option to you.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Michael Zier
Date: 28 Aug 2008 08:34:57
Message: <48b69b71$1@news.povray.org>
Am Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:29:05 +0100 schrieb Invisible:

> Michael Zier wrote:
>>> I think somebody needs to sit down and write an OS which *is* designed
>>> for people's dads to use.
>>>
>> IMHO, I'd say that the key obstacle would be the vast diversity of
>> hardware you can find on people's dads computers.
>
> Both Windoze and Linux seem to have got around that, not to mention
> MacOS. So it can't be that insurmountable...

Yes, but isn't it so, that hardware/driver issues are the most prominent
problems People's Dads (TM) run into (maybe followed by incomprehensible
error messages).

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 28 Aug 2008 08:57:39
Message: <48b6a0c3$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Apple has already done that. MacOS has been always designed to be very
> easy for average persons to use (unlike Windows, no matter how much MS and
> Windows fanatics lie about this).

I was under the impression that MacOS X is just Unix with a prettier UI?

>   But of course Apple is never an option to you.

Well, that's a whole "other" discussion too...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Warp
Date: 28 Aug 2008 09:02:03
Message: <48b6a1cb@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> Warp wrote:

> >   Apple has already done that. MacOS has been always designed to be very
> > easy for average persons to use (unlike Windows, no matter how much MS and
> > Windows fanatics lie about this).

> I was under the impression that MacOS X is just Unix with a prettier UI?

  A kernel doesn't make the OS.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 28 Aug 2008 09:44:41
Message: <48b6abc9$1@news.povray.org>
>>>   Apple has already done that. MacOS has been always designed to be very
>>> easy for average persons to use (unlike Windows, no matter how much MS and
>>> Windows fanatics lie about this).
>
>> I was under the impression that MacOS X is just Unix with a prettier UI?
>
>   A kernel doesn't make the OS.

Depends how you define "kernel".

How different is MacOS? Is it just a typical Unix environment with a
different UI shell running on top? Or is it more fundamentally different
than that under the hood?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/