POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Something file systems need Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:23:00 EDT (-0400)
  Something file systems need (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Something file systems need
Date: 25 Aug 2008 17:35:19
Message: <48b32597@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Well, arguably, there is - you put it in /tmp - most programs do that.
> Then you just exclude the directory from your backups.

Well, yes, but programs don't do that. KDE doesn't put the fingernails
there. Firefox doesn't put the cache files there. Thunderbird doesn't
put the index files there. VI doesn't put .swp files there. Etc.

Basically, anyone who doesn't want to have to pick an arbitrary name and
then somehow relate it back to the file it's related to isn't going to
put it in /tmp/.  And /tmp really isn't where you want to store all that
stuff anyway, or you'll wind up filling up whatever partition /tmp is
on, which is usually smaller than the partition your home directory is on.

> Demonstration I saw showed it pegging the CPU at 100% for nearly 40
> minutes because the rights were stamped on each object.  Come to think,
> it wasn't the filesystem - it had to do with assigning rights in AD
> itself, not to the filesystem.  It's been a few years.

I'm not saying you didn't see it. Only that I never did. :-)  They
*have* changed how ACLs are stored on files between 2000 and XP (IIRC).

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 14:35:19 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Well, arguably, there is - you put it in /tmp - most programs do that.
>> Then you just exclude the directory from your backups.
>
> Well, yes, but programs don't do that. KDE doesn't put the fingernails
> there. Firefox doesn't put the cache files there. Thunderbird doesn't
> put the index files there. VI doesn't put .swp files there. Etc.

True.  But that's also what environment variables TMP and TEMP are for as
well.  But you're right that FF doesn't put its cache files there;
there's a reason I flush my cache when existing FF (pain in the behind to
sync the directory with a zillion cache files).

> Basically, anyone who doesn't want to have to pick an arbitrary name and
> then somehow relate it back to the file it's related to isn't going to
> put it in /tmp/.  And /tmp really isn't where you want to store all that
> stuff anyway, or you'll wind up filling up whatever partition /tmp is
> on, which is usually smaller than the partition your home directory is
> on.

There again, that's what the environment vars are for.

>> Demonstration I saw showed it pegging the CPU at 100% for nearly 40
>> minutes because the rights were stamped on each object.  Come to think,
>> it wasn't the filesystem - it had to do with assigning rights in AD
>> itself, not to the filesystem.  It's been a few years.
>
> I'm not saying you didn't see it. Only that I never did. :-)  They
> *have* changed how ACLs are stored on files between 2000 and XP (IIRC).

I'm talking on server - ACLs in AD, not the filesystem.  I could probably
reproduce it if it were worth my time. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message