POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Something file systems need : Re: Something file systems need Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:25:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Something file systems need
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Aug 2008 20:25:48
Message: <48b34d8c$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> No, that you'd have a path which was storage for temp files, system-
> wide.

Um, right. Same with Windows.

> In *nix, ISTR there's a call to "create a temporary file", no need
> to track it by name because all the program needs is the file handle.

Um, no. If you want to close the file and reopen it later, because it's,
say, a cache file, then you need to know the name.  How come people
invariably think a "temp file" means you never close it, reopen it, or
pass it to another program?  In any case, I'm not talking about temp
files. I'm talking about cache files.  And since programs *don't* do
this, a discussion of how it might be able to work without changing the
file system doesn't help anyway.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)