POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is why Windows doesn't need a package manager Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:20:36 EDT (-0400)
  This is why Windows doesn't need a package manager (Message 32 to 41 of 51)
From: Sabrina Kilian
Subject: Re: This is why Windows doesn't need a package manager
Date: 19 Aug 2008 01:44:31
Message: <48aa5dbf@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Sabrina Kilian wrote:
>> I don't think, and I could be wrong here cause I don't follow GTK,
>> that GTK has ever released a 'long term support' version of their
>> library.
>
> Dunno. I wasn't the one that first said "long use stable libraries."

That was the impression I got from the blog, that he thought GTK was
some sort of stable system. That's also why I put the phrase in quotes.

> It's also kind of odd that he'd be talking about putting Firefox 3 on
> "production machines" without upgrading stuff. Maybe it's just me, but
> either your system is working (in which case, why upgrade the UI
> component) or you have someone's random desktop machine they're using to
> surf random sites with (in which case why gripe that the package manager
> downloaded a bunch of packages?).  I mean, lots of businesses (banks,
> other customer service places, etc) use web browsers to get into their
> systems, but why would you want to put firefox3 on such a box?

Yeah, that boggled my mind as well. I put firefox 3 on my laptop, cause
it wasn't doing anything. I waited till I was done with every major
project and knew my desktop would be free for a week before installing
it there. Didn't suffer any problems with the migration, but I couldn't
have afforded the time to restore bookmarks and passwords if I had done
it during crunch week.

>> All I read in the blog post was "I want to use a older distro that the
>> package manager maintenance  crew probably aren't supporting anymore,
>
> Yeah. Good thing agreeing with the guy wasn't my point in giving the
> example. :-)

Sorry, I read "this is bad and is a reason why technology B is better"
as a mild endorsement of the bloggers rant.

Post a reply to this message