POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A Policeman got a parking ticket and complained about it! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:12:22 EDT (-0400)
  A Policeman got a parking ticket and complained about it! (Message 61 to 70 of 82)
From: Tim Attwood
Subject: Re: A Policeman got a parking ticket and complained about it!
Date: 30 Jul 2008 08:43:35
Message: <489061f7$1@news.povray.org>
>> SW Ep 4-6 really broke new technical ground in SF
>> movie making.
>
>  Hmm. When I compare the first SW movie (made in 1977) to the Alien movie
> (made in 1979), the former looks really, really simple and cheap. I'm just
> not able to see why it's so good as everyone claims.

Hollywood had almost given up on SF before SW: Ep 4, so
in some ways Lucas lucked into a market that was hungry
for any SF movies, and sparse on other blockbusters. It opened
in May, and in my town was still showing in November against
Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind. Movies in rival genres were
especially bad that year, like The Choirboys, which could
easily have drawn a NC-17 rating.

Post a reply to this message