POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random C craziness Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:25:53 EDT (-0400)
  Random C craziness (Message 31 to 34 of 34)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Random C craziness
Date: 29 Jul 2008 11:27:01
Message: <488f36c5@news.povray.org>
>>   Because "while(1)" is a common idiom, and avoids the ugly goto.
>
> Either that or for(;;) { ... }

...and to think people complain when a Haskell programmer writes

   fix ((1:) . scanl (+) 1)

or something... :-P

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Darren New
Date: 29 Jul 2008 15:39:00
Message: <488f71d4$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   (Another less fancy way would be to return a null pointer from the
> function, in which case the program will end with a segmentation fault.)

Well, maybe if you're lucky. :-) Otherwise, it just goes off happily
executing whatever is at memory address zero (or whatever NULL maps to).

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints:

> >   (Another less fancy way would be to return a null pointer from the
> > function, in which case the program will end with a segmentation fault.)

> Well, maybe if you're lucky. :-) Otherwise, it just goes off happily
> executing whatever is at memory address zero (or whatever NULL maps to).

  I'm pretty sure POSIX or some other type of standard states that jumping
to the null pointer will always cause a segmentation fault.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>>>   (Another less fancy way would be to return a null pointer from the
>>> function, in which case the program will end with a segmentation fault.)
>
>> Well, maybe if you're lucky. :-) Otherwise, it just goes off happily
>> executing whatever is at memory address zero (or whatever NULL maps to).
>
>   I'm pretty sure POSIX or some other type of standard states that jumping
> to the null pointer will always cause a segmentation fault.

But not the C standard. Try it on MS-DOS, Win 3.1, AmigaDOS, a credit
card terminal, a cell phone, etc. :-)  Basically, you're saying you
can't have a POSIX-compliant system without memory mapping, methinks.
But C is used in particular because of its primitiveness and lack of
reliance on a particular complex bit of hardware.

"The operating system is there to provide the facilities the language
designer left out."