POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:24:10 EDT (-0400)
  Back to the future (Message 165 to 174 of 234)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Back to the future [~200KBbu]
Date: 31 Jul 2008 12:24:31
Message: <4891e73f@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. ;-)

Sure it is. It's not proof of absence, of course, but it's stronger
evidence than not.

http://www.overcomingbias.com/2007/08/absence-of-evid.html

> But now here, in the 21st century, we've finally exhausted the base of
> knowledge?  I don't think that's the case.

The problem is that you're confusing math with physics. In math, yes, we
have exhausted the base of knowledge of the halting problem. The halting
problem goes like this:

Assume A.  Assume B.   Assume C.  Therefore D.

You're arguing "maybe assumption B is counterfactual."  That doesn't
disprove the halting problem. It doesn't mean you can solve the halting
problem. It merely means the halting problem doesn't apply to your
current situation.

Indeed, one of the assumptions required for the halting problem to hold
(namely, unbounded storage) is *known* to be impossible to realize in
this universe (or at least normally assumed to be impossible even by
people who understand the halting problem). That *still* doesn't mean
the halting problem is "solved".

Math isn't physics.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 09:24:30 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. ;-)
>
> Sure it is. It's not proof of absence, of course, but it's stronger
> evidence than not.
>
> http://www.overcomingbias.com/2007/08/absence-of-evid.html
>
>> But now here, in the 21st century, we've finally exhausted the base of
>> knowledge?  I don't think that's the case.
>
> The problem is that you're confusing math with physics. In math, yes, we
> have exhausted the base of knowledge of the halting problem. The halting
> problem goes like this:
>
> Assume A.  Assume B.   Assume C.  Therefore D.
>
> You're arguing "maybe assumption B is counterfactual."  That doesn't
> disprove the halting problem. It doesn't mean you can solve the halting
> problem. It merely means the halting problem doesn't apply to your
> current situation.
>
> Indeed, one of the assumptions required for the halting problem to hold
> (namely, unbounded storage) is *known* to be impossible to realize in
> this universe (or at least normally assumed to be impossible even by
> people who understand the halting problem). That *still* doesn't mean
> the halting problem is "solved".
>
> Math isn't physics.

Now my brain hurts. ;-)

Jim