POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Harmonograph Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:11:48 EDT (-0400)
  Harmonograph (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Harmonograph
Date: 15 Jul 2008 14:56:21
Message: <487cf2d5$1@news.povray.org>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonograph

...does anybody ELSE have a sudden urge to try this??

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Kevin Wampler
Subject: Re: Harmonograph
Date: 15 Jul 2008 15:03:30
Message: <487cf482$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonograph
>
> ...does anybody ELSE have a sudden urge to try this??

I actually had one of those as a kid -- it was indeed pretty cool.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 15 Jul 2008 15:14:19
Message: <487cf70b$1@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler wrote:

> I actually had one of those as a kid -- it was indeed pretty cool.

I had a spiragraph kit.

It was actually annoyingly difficult to make any remotely interesting
images. I thing the felt pens we used were just too blunt. Also very
hard to make the gears rotate without slipping off. Or ripping the
paper. Or the template sliding. Or...

I was just looking at a site explaining how to build one, and I suddenly
had a killer flash of inspiration: THERMAL PAPER and a LASER POINTING
DEVICE!

Think about it - 100% friction-free graphing! EPIC WIN!!!

I want to try this *so* badly right now...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>> I actually had one of those as a kid -- it was indeed pretty cool.
>
> I had a spiragraph kit.
>
> It was actually annoyingly difficult to make any remotely interesting
> images. I thing the felt pens we used were just too blunt. Also very
> hard to make the gears rotate without slipping off. Or ripping the
> paper. Or the template sliding. Or...
>

> I was just looking at a site explaining how to build one, and I suddenly
> had a killer flash of inspiration: THERMAL PAPER and a LASER POINTING
> DEVICE!
>
> Think about it - 100% friction-free graphing! EPIC WIN!!!

Tell me how you want to move the laser friction free.

> I want to try this *so* badly right now...

Post a reply to this message

>> I was just looking at a site explaining how to build one, and I
>> suddenly had a killer flash of inspiration: THERMAL PAPER and a LASER
>> POINTING DEVICE!
>>
>> Think about it - 100% friction-free graphing! EPIC WIN!!!
>
> Tell me how you want to move the laser friction free.

Well OK, let me rephrase: "with vastly less friction than dragging a pen
across paper". That better? :-P

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> ...does anybody ELSE have a sudden urge to try this??

With a touch of nonlinearity...

Or did you mean physically?

camera{ location 10*y look_at 0}
plane{y,0 pigment{rgb 1} finish{ambient 1}}

#declare s1 = seed(1400);
#declare om1 = 0.5+rand(s1)*2.0;
#declare om2 = 0.5+rand(s1)*2.0;
#declare A1 = 1.5+rand(s1)*1.0;
#declare A2 = 1.5+rand(s1)*1.0;
#declare p11 = rand(s1)*2*pi;
#declare p12 = rand(s1)*2*pi;
#declare p21 = rand(s1)*2*pi;
#declare p22 = rand(s1)*2*pi;

union{
    #declare p=0.0;
    #while(p<400.0)
 sphere{<A1*sin(om1*cos(p)+p11)-A2*sin(om2*p+p21),0,
         A1*cos(om1*sin(p)+p12)-A2*cos(om2*p+p22)>,0.01}
 #declare p=p+0.005;
    #end
    pigment{rgb 0}
}