POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Harmonograph : Re: Harmonograph Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:24:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Harmonograph
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 16 Jul 2008 03:01:35
Message: <487d9ccf$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Yes, sounds like an idea for a nice little bit of code, with support for
> all those rotational pendulums, multiply connected pendulums and so on.
> Maybe even magnets too :-)

Heh. I already did the magnets part, remember? ;-)

> Actually they have one of these in (IIRC) the science museum in London,
> the pendulum is like 3 or 4 stories high.

Well since I was *in* the London Science Museum on Monday [hence this
post], allow me to elaborate:

- They have a Foucault Pendulum which is indeed several stories high (6
IIRC). A small electric motor keeps it swinging. The direction of its
swing varies depending on the time of day due to precession.

- They also have a dual-elliptic harmonograph, which is a small
table-sized machine with a pair of pendulums. Apparently the simple ones
have two that swing at rightangles, controlling each axis of the pen.
This one has pendulums that can swing in any direction - I'm not really
sure how that affects the pen... The weights are adjustable to change
the swing frequency.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/