POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How far we have come Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:22:12 EDT (-0400)
  How far we have come (Message 14 to 23 of 33)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: How far we have come
Date: 14 Jul 2008 10:35:41
Message: <487b643d@news.povray.org>
andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> >> POV-Ray?
> >
> >   Except that POV-Ray isn't a programming language but a renderer.
> >
> it is both.

  If you are referring to the SDL as a "programming language", that is
a real memory hog.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 14 Jul 2008 10:36:37
Message: <487b6475@news.povray.org>
Mueen Nawaz <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
> Warp wrote:
> >   Is there *any* programming language designed after the early 80's which
> > actually cares about memory usage?

> HTML

> (Dodges tomatos!)

  Even if it was a "programming language", HTML is probably one of the
*least* memory-efficient languages ever.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>>>   Except that POV-Ray isn't a programming language but a renderer.
>>>
>> it is both.
>
>   If you are referring to the SDL as a "programming language", that is
> a real memory hog.

No I am referring to the way SDL handles datastructures. I assume that
they are designed to let the scene use as little memory as possible. I
could be wrong, but I shouldn't. ;)

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 14 Jul 2008 14:30:14
Message: <487b9b36@news.povray.org>
andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> No I am referring to the way SDL handles datastructures.

  If you make, for example, an array of objects with the SDL, it is
a memory hog.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 14 Jul 2008 14:31:19
Message: <487b9b77$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> I can't believe a computer expert wouldn't know that. I mean, FORTH is
> only, like, the most important programming language *ever*!

Heh. To be fair, I've written at least two complete FORTH interpreters.
:-) Still, it wasn't actually popular until the 80's.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints:

From: andrel
Date: 14 Jul 2008 14:49:46
Message: <487BA003.2050202@hotmail.com>
On 14-Jul-08 20:30, Warp wrote:
> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> No I am referring to the way SDL handles datastructures.
>
>   If you make, for example, an array of objects with the SDL, it is
> a memory hog.

Well, lets change that in POV4.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 14 Jul 2008 15:02:57
Message: <487ba2e1@news.povray.org>
andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> On 14-Jul-08 20:30, Warp wrote:
> > andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> >> No I am referring to the way SDL handles datastructures.
> >
> >   If you make, for example, an array of objects with the SDL, it is
> > a memory hog.
> >
> Well, lets change that in POV4.

  I bet it won't be too different in that regard.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 14 Jul 2008 17:02:21
Message: <487bbedd$1@news.povray.org>
>> I can't believe a computer expert wouldn't know that. I mean, FORTH is
>> only, like, the most important programming language *ever*!
>
> Heh. To be fair, I've written at least two complete FORTH interpreters.
> :-) Still, it wasn't actually popular until the 80's.

...it was actually popular? :-P

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Darren New
Date: 14 Jul 2008 17:19:39
Message: <487bc2eb$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> I can't believe a computer expert wouldn't know that. I mean, FORTH
>>> is only, like, the most important programming language *ever*!
>>
>> Heh. To be fair, I've written at least two complete FORTH
>> interpreters. :-) Still, it wasn't actually popular until the 80's.
>
> ....it was actually popular? :-P

Actually, yeah. For example, every Sun Sparcstation had FORTH in ROM,
and a number of other embedded systems used it (like printer drivers and
such).

But it was never popular like C is, no. Certainly more popular in the
80's (after a standard came out for it) than in the 70's.

From: Chris Cason
Date: 14 Jul 2008 18:27:13
Message: <487bd2c1$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> You remember the days when programmers struggled to fit as much program
> as possible into 64 KB of RAM?

I still do ...

-- Chris