POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Astonishment Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:21:13 EDT (-0400)
  Astonishment (Message 81 to 90 of 90)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Astonishment
Date: 18 Jul 2008 10:32:28
Message: <4880a97c$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 09:16:46 +0200, scott wrote:

>> That seems most common - for implementations that involve life and
>> death, the systems tend to be custom-built for a specific purpose, not
>> based on a general purpose operating system.
>
> It's not just the software, all the hardware will also need to be
> certified for applications where human life is at risk.  You think your
> PC is reliable?  You trust it enough, that if it ever failed you'd die?
> Didn't think so :-)

Ah yes, absolutely true. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 18 Jul 2008 10:33:23
Message: <4880a9b3$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 03:38:31 -0400, Sabrina Kilian wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:17:21 -0700, Darren New wrote:
>>
>>> And I wouldn't be surprised, anyway, if some MS software had a bug
>>> that caused some patient to get over-dosed with radiation during
>>> cancer treatment or some such.
>>
>> I would be, since the machines that control that sort of thing tend to
>> be custom-built and not PC-controlled, at least not that I've seen
>> (admittedly, I've not spent a lot of time in cancer treatment
>> facilities).
>>
>> Jim
>
> Even the custom built control software isn't always bug free.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therac-25

Oh, sure, I wouldn't say they were, but special purpose machines with a
single purpose in life tend to be much easier to troubleshoot than a
complex general-purpose system.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 18 Jul 2008 10:35:45
Message: <4880aa41$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 14:37:15 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> I'm sure temperature ranges were tested, but ice? Maybe they hadn't
> thought about that. IDK.

Having lived in Florida for a brief time, I can tell you that the general
feeling is the risk of ice forming is relatively low.  Given that the
shuttle was designed to take off from KSC in Florida, it may well not
have been a design consideration.

Jim

Post a reply to this message