POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coins Server Time
17 May 2024 01:03:41 EDT (-0400)
  Coins (Message 11 to 20 of 45)
From: Doctor John
Subject: Re: Coins
Date: 8 Jul 2008 10:13:31
Message: <4873760b$1@news.povray.org>
Doctor John wrote:
> Yup, sure is. Lots of traders doing it in banks all over the City.
> However, more money can be made from Futures and spread betting.
>
> John

Forgot to mention arbitrage as well

John

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 8 Jul 2008 10:43:30
Message: <48737d11@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> Did you know, that if you had a ton of old 2 pence pieces (worth 2800
> pounds), you could melt them down and sell the ton of copper for the going
> price of 4300 pounds.

  Do you have any reference for this?

  Some info about the equivalent situation in the US:
http://www.snopes.com/business/money/pennycost.asp

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 8 Jul 2008 10:52:33
Message: <48737f31@news.povray.org>
>> Did you know, that if you had a ton of old 2 pence pieces (worth 2800
>> pounds), you could melt them down and sell the ton of copper for the
>> going
>> price of 4300 pounds.
>
>  Do you have any reference for this?

I googled the weight of a 2p coin, then googled the current copper prices,
and did the sums.  But as already pointed out, recent coins in the UK are
actually made from copper plated steel, which I assume is worth considerably
less.

Post a reply to this message