POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coins : Re: Coins Server Time
1 Jun 2024 04:24:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coins
From: Phil Cook
Date: 9 Jul 2008 07:39:07
Message: <op.ud0vynfkc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 08 Jul 2008 14:43:43 +0100, scott <sco### [at] scottcom> did
spake, saying:

>>> Although... the coins aren't pure copper, are they?
>>
>>  No, they are in fact mild steel, or at least some kind of ferrous
>> alloy. Hold a magnet to a newish copper coin. I say copper because
>> they're actually copper plated. They started doing this (in the UK),
>> about 8 years ago I think.
>
> Aha! So we just need to collect the old ones.  I propose using a magnet
> to sort them.

Noting on Wikipedia that currently the old 2p coins contain about 3p worth
of copper, would it be worth the cost of stripping it off the steel? Oh
and the Mint also reminds people that tampering with coinage is illegal
(technically I think it's treason as you're tampering with an image of the
monarch)

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com