POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mind expension Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:22:27 EDT (-0400)
  Mind expension (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Invisible
Subject: Mind expension
Date: 7 Jul 2008 07:02:53
Message: <4871f7dd$1@news.povray.org>
OK, so today I learned the following:

1. Teasle is in no way related to thistles.

2. Burdoc is a member of the thistle family, and is related to artichoke.

3. Dandelion & Burdoc is actually flavoured with either Sassafras or
Wintergreen.

4. Sassafras contains a compound known as Safrole.

5. Safrole is what makes castor oil brown. It's a natural pesticide, and
it's also a human carcinogen. (!)

6. Wintergreen oil contains methyl salicylate. It's a rubefacient. (It
makes your skin red by flushing it with blood.)

7. Another rubefacient is Capsaicin.

8. Capsaicin is what makes peppers hot. It's - guess what - a mammalian
herbevore deterrant. (The fruits are for comsumption by birds, on whom
the chemical is just a mild analgesic.)

9. Capsaicin is the active ingrediant in pepper spray.

10. I probably spend too much time on Wikipedia.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

I though these kind of posts were reserved for friday as 'friday abstracts'.

On 07-Jul-08 13:02, Invisible wrote:
> OK, so today I learned the following:
>
> 1. Teasle is in no way related to thistles.
>
> 2. Burdoc is a member of the thistle family, and is related to artichoke.
>
> 3. Dandelion & Burdoc is actually flavoured with either Sassafras or
> Wintergreen.
>
> 4. Sassafras contains a compound known as Safrole.
>
> 5. Safrole is what makes castor oil brown. It's a natural pesticide, and
> it's also a human carcinogen. (!)
>
> 6. Wintergreen oil contains methyl salicylate. It's a rubefacient. (It
> makes your skin red by flushing it with blood.)
>
> 7. Another rubefacient is Capsaicin.
>
> 8. Capsaicin is what makes peppers hot. It's - guess what - a mammalian
> herbevore deterrant. (The fruits are for comsumption by birds, on whom
> the chemical is just a mild analgesic.)
>
> 9. Capsaicin is the active ingrediant in pepper spray.
>
> 10. I probably spend too much time on Wikipedia.

Post a reply to this message

> 10. I probably spend too much time on Wikipedia.

And apparently not enough on Wiktionary.

Post a reply to this message

>> 10. I probably spend too much time on Wikipedia.
>
> And apparently not enough on Wiktionary.

Sure, like *that* would help. :-P

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> 9. Capsaicin is the active ingrediant in pepper spray.

Not only that, but there are actually hot sauces you can buy with a more
concentrated capsaicin content than most pepper sprays!

Post a reply to this message