POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Name that font! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Name that font! (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: Kevin Wampler
Subject: Re: Name that font!
Date: 27 Jun 2008 15:06:05
Message: <48653a1d$1@news.povray.org>
stbenge wrote:
> If I cannot find it for free, no matter. As it turns out, my friend
> doesn't care much what font I use, as long as it looks good. In fact, he
> was suggesting I use Times if I couldn't find a good replacement! Sure,
> Times can look good if you tweak and bend it, but sheesh. Times...

Look on the bright side: he could have insisted on Comic Sans!

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 27 Jun 2008 16:32:59
Message: <48654e7b$1@news.povray.org>
stbenge wrote:
> Thank you! It's frustrating trying to find a font. Someday there will be
> image-based search engines, where you can feed an image in and get
> results related to that image...

That's been around for a while.  I remember working on an IBM
instantiation of that a decade ago.  Just never really made it to the
public.

And of course there are things coming out where you (for example) feed
it an image and it tells you where the image was taken, by matching it
against millions of Flickr images and such.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints:

>> If I cannot find it for free, no matter. As it turns out, my friend
>> doesn't care much what font I use, as long as it looks good. In fact,
>> he was suggesting I use Times if I couldn't find a good replacement!
>> Sure, Times can look good if you tweak and bend it, but sheesh. Times...
>
> Look on the bright side: he could have insisted on Comic Sans!

Hey, it's not my company letterhead. Personally, I wouldn't use comic
sans unless I was running some sort of party/gag shop.

Post a reply to this message

>> Thank you! It's frustrating trying to find a font. Someday there will
>> be image-based search engines, where you can feed an image in and get
>> results related to that image...
>
> That's been around for a while.  I remember working on an IBM
> instantiation of that a decade ago.  Just never really made it to the
> public.

Did it at least make it to the web somewhere?

> And of course there are things coming out where you (for example) feed
> it an image and it tells you where the image was taken, by matching it
> against millions of Flickr images and such.

That sounds cool... for Flickr. I think it would be nice to have one
available which encompasses the entire 'net. Even something that
wouldn't take anything larger than, say, 50x50 pixels or something.

Post a reply to this message