POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh what joy! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:13:22 EDT (-0400)
  Oh what joy! (Message 62 to 71 of 91)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Erasure
Date: 27 Jun 2008 17:23:09
Message: <48655a3d$1@news.povray.org>
>> holding file data will still be intact. (Formatting with, say, ext2
>> takes a tiny fraction of the time that FAT or NTFS formatting takes,
>
> D'oh?  Hardly.   I've never had an NTFS format take more than a half a
> minute or so, and formatting a 750G drive with ext3 on the same machine
> takes 10 or 15 minutes.

For me, it typically takes about 20 minutes to do a full NTFS format on
a large partition. (Doesn't seem to matter how big the drive is -
presumably because larger drives are also newer and hence faster.)

> Ext2/3 stores i-nodes all over the disk, preformatting them. This takes
> time when you have a couple gig of i-nodes to fill out.

For me, ext2 takes about 15 seconds or so - very much faster. Comparable
to an NTFS "quick format".

>> I am unsure as to whether #4 and #5 are different in any way. Both
>> seem to take the same amount of time...
>
> On my drives, at least one of the maxtor "format back to factory-fresh"
> only wrote the first sector on each track or something. It finished way
> too fast to be writing the whole drive. Unless the drive had a command
> built in that wiped the entire track in one rotation or something,
> rather than actually having to transfer the data from memory to the
> drive for the whole thing.

On the Maxtor tool I have, there are two options: "low-level format
(quick)" and "low-level format (full)". The former erases the beginning
and end of the drive. The latter erases everything. (And takes a
ridiculous amount of time to complete.)

Clearly I'm going to have to actually do some experiments. :-P

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/