POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh what joy! : Re: Erasure Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:14:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Erasure
From: Darren New
Date: 27 Jun 2008 18:14:32
Message: <48656648$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> I'll try formatting a spare partition I have here with NTFS and ext2 and
> see what I get in timings.

OK, on a 40 gig partition,
ntfs /q - 5 seconds
ntfs full scan - about 20 minutes. (I stopped 10% in)

ext2 - 23 seconds
ext2 -c (full scan) - about 20 minutes.

ext3 - 27 seconds.
(Note the extra 4 seconds is roughly a constant, independent of disk size.)

An ext3 format of a 750G drive at work took something like six to ten
minutes, but I might have had other layers in there (raid or encryption
or something) that I don't recall.  I do recall doing the equivalent of
chkdsk /f /r on the ext3 drive went about 36 hours for the first pass,
and then said "starting second pass" without even any indication of how
many passes it was planning to do, so I killed it at that point. :-)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: