POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh what joy! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:14:20 EDT (-0400)
  Oh what joy! (Message 52 to 61 of 91)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Oh what joy!
Date: 27 Jun 2008 13:54:12
Message: <48652944$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:45:38 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> Uh... like, WTF?
>
> I mean, sure, if you take the drive apart and crawl over it with a
> microscope, you can recover data. But who the **** is going to bother?
> It's not like you could recover any particularly valuable data.

There are some very good forensic tools available to the general public
that make it possible to recover a fair amount of data from a wiped drive.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 27 Jun 2008 13:58:22
Message: <48652a3e$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 17:02:14 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> Right. Well I'll tell you what, you show me an actual technique that
> allows you to recover data from a harddrive after every individual block
> has been written with zeros, without the use of a microscope. ;-)

Send it here:  http://www.ontrack.com

Or maybe here:  http://salvagedata.com

Or use something like this: http://freshmeat.net/projects/mobiusft/

Or maybe http://freshmeat.net/projects/fccubootcd/

(The latter is reportedly used by the Belgian Federal Computer Crime Unit)

Forensic data recovery is a booming business at the moment (got a friend
who does it, in fact).  Just wiping a drive is absolutely not sufficient
- people have been convicted using evidence recovered from a drive
without using "a microscope" (and BTW, how would that help?  The data is
encoded in a magnetic field, a microscope won't see that).

Jim

Post a reply to this message