POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh what joy! : Re: Erasure Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:15:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Erasure
From: Darren New
Date: 27 Jun 2008 16:25:42
Message: <48654cc6$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> Oh, I thought that "format" really went over every byte of the partition
> and wrote to it?  IIRC there is a "quick format" option, which I assumed
> just did the headers and stuff to make it look like it was formatted.

Format *used* to write to the whole drive, way back in DOS 3/4 days or
so. Now quick-format writes only the file system (first few tracks,
basically) assuming all sectors are good, and non-quick format writes
the first few tracks after *reading* all the sectors to make sure
they're good.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: