POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh what joy! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:24:33 EDT (-0400)
  Oh what joy! (Message 21 to 30 of 91)
From: Gail Shaw
Subject: Re: Oh what joy!
Date: 26 Jun 2008 16:30:09
Message: <4863fc51@news.povray.org>
news:4863f9fb@news.povray.org...
> >> I always thought this kind of service was only of use to intelligence
> >> agencies and people with poor backup procedures. ;-)
> >
> > Well, seeing as I lost data in the process, I guess that you'd put me in
> > category 2?
> > In limited defence, I had a fairly complete backup (DVD) a few months
old
> > and a partial backup a week or so old (flash drive). I only lost a few
> > things. Most were recreatable.
>
> Fact: When I was at uni, every single time assignment hand-in date came
> around, you would not *believe* how many 3.5" disks went faulty! ;-)

We had a simple solution to that problem. Faulty disk = 0%. Suddenly the
disks got more reliable. Must have been a faulty batch.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 26 Jun 2008 16:56:05
Message: <48640265@news.povray.org>
Gail Shaw wrote:

>> Fact: When I was at uni, every single time assignment hand-in date came
>> around, you would not *believe* how many 3.5" disks went faulty! ;-)
>
> We had a simple solution to that problem. Faulty disk = 0%. Suddenly the
> disks got more reliable. Must have been a faulty batch.

Even more interesting: At hand-in time, there was *always* at least one
laser printer that was faulty.

[This was almost always traced back to some DILBERT putting the wrong
kind of transparency into it. Do NOT do this!!]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/