POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mencoder question Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:15:49 EDT (-0400)
  Mencoder question (Message 41 to 50 of 73)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Mencoder question
Date: 16 Jun 2008 13:12:39
Message: <48569f07$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Fortunately mplayer isn't such a software.

I did not mean to imply it was, nor that all open source software is
that way.

>   Can you give me an example of a library which is almost completely
> undocumented?

Many are, usually in the initial phases when they really need the most
help to get going.  As I said, Freenet was essentially undocumented for
about 5 years when it started.  Apache 2.0 was undocumented for over a
year, without even mentioning in the documentation distributed with the
package that the documentation was from a different and completely
incompatible version.  CouchDB has no documentation on what the file
formats are, which makes it difficult to learn anything or understand
and of the code without learning all of it.

It's not so much that the project isn't documented. It's that the
project *is* documented, but the documentation isn't put anywhere that
people willing to help (or at least provide suggestions) can get to it.
I find it tremendously hard to believe that anyone would write a major
distributed database engine without ever once embodying the format of
the data stored in the files other than in the source code. It would be
like beliving Microsoft never documented the format of Word files, and
always told new programmers "just read the source to figure it out."

>   In fact, many open source libraries have pretty decent documentations.
> One example: http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/stable/

Yes, many do. I have, sadly, run up against way too many that don't,
usually when my boss says something like "Hey, I just heard about X,
let's use that!"

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: