POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mencoder question : Re: Mencoder question Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:16:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mencoder question
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 16 Jun 2008 16:39:36
Message: <4856cf88$1@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen wrote:

> Ok, it's not horrible, I have to admit. It's hard to see the artifacts
> 'cause the movement is so fast and due to fact that interest of viewer
> is drawn to the dancing movement in the middle of the picture (the point
> of MPEG and JPEG).

The file happened to be laying around on my HD. It's actually meant to
be watched at 22 frames/second - but the MPEG headers say 25, which is
why it looks so damned fast. But I tried freeze-framing it in a few
places, and nothing really serious was evident.

Certainly this video looks miles better than anything Mencoder has so
far managed to produce for me. Every time I try with Mencoder, I get
huge blocks of rainbow colours appearing here and there, and sometimes
really ugly DCT artifacts as if the file is actually corrupted somehow...

>> 100% flawless picture quality with absolutely no visible artifacts of
>> any kind - and with a highly intricate and detailed image full of
>> motion. And it's only 4 MB. [Admittedly it's also only a few seconds...]
>
> On this I can't agree. There are visible artifacts on gradients.

Well OK, but you have to look pretty damned hard to find them. Certainly
compered to the chewed up mess Mencoder gives me, these look flawless!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/