POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mencoder question Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:16:27 EDT (-0400)
  Mencoder question (Message 31 to 40 of 73)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Mencoder question
Date: 16 Jun 2008 10:05:37
Message: <48567331@news.povray.org>
>>> MPEG1 sucks.
>>
>> Define "sucks".
>
> The picture quality of MPEG1 is something horrible.

Doesn't that rather depend on what bitrate you select? [Same as any
other lossy codec...]

Now, if you wanted to say that the picture quality to bitrate ratio is
inferior, that's another matter.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 16 Jun 2008 10:39:03
Message: <48567b07@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

>>> Define "sucks".
>>
>> The picture quality of MPEG1 is something horrible.
>
> Doesn't that rather depend on what bitrate you select? [Same as any
> other lossy codec...]

No, AFAIK with MPEG-1 the bitrate only defines *how* horrible the
picture quality is.

Go ahead, prove me wrong and throw a link to MPEG-1 -file, which
actually has good picture quality?

> Now, if you wanted to say that the picture quality to bitrate ratio is
> inferior, that's another matter.

Yes, that's another matter, but that's also true.

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net

Post a reply to this message