POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mencoder question : Re: Mencoder question Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:16:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mencoder question
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 16 Jun 2008 12:43:57
Message: <4856984d$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Why can't I just say -ovc mpeg1? Why do I have to say -ovc lacv
> -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video? That seems unecessarily complex.

	Warp answered that: Why should mencoder choose for you which library
you should use?

	I think the problem you're dealing with is that mencoder is meant to be
somewhat general purpose. I can easily imagine another encoder out there
that's as easy to use as you want, but would simply be inflexible - lack
of choices. mencoder is designed for flexibility.

> Also, why is there *nowhere* in the manual that says "to produce a
> standard MPEG-1 file, type XYZ"? Do you have any idea how freakin long
> it took me to decode the manual to the point where I could construct
> this commandline?

	They give various examples at the end of the man file. Yes, MPEG-1 is
not explicitly provided, but then why should they provide that over,
say, MPEG-4 or some other codec? I think you're mistaken in thinking
that most people do encoding into MPEG-1 - it's usually to encode to
xvid, divx or something similar.

	In any case:

mencoder "mf://*.jpg" -mf fps=25 -o output.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4

	It shouldn't be too hard to go from there to mpeg1.

> [E.g., nowhere is it actually documented that if you want to pass
> *multiple* options to lavc, you have to seperate them with colons.

	Right in the beginning of the section for lavcopts, you see:

EXAMPLE:
                  vcodec=msmpeg4:vbitrate=1800:vhq:keyint=250

	Should be enough of a hint.

> Eventually I noticed it in an example - an example demonstrating
> something completely unrelated to syntax - and copied it. In general,
> trying to figure out how the hell to make Mencoder do anything reduces
> to endless trail and cryptic error...]

	Can't say I figured everything out by reading mencoder man file. I have
in the past done Google searches and looked at other people's scripts.
However, it's not obvious to me how it can be made better.

> As far as I can tell, making Mencoder output any format is equally
> difficult and error-prone. [I still can't get it to produce an
> uncompressed AVI file that anything except MPlayer can comprehend.]
> Adding a rare codec like XviD would just make matters worse...

	xvid is not exactly rare.

	I'd be curious to see if the same command you're giving will produce a
working avi file on my side...

--
Nostalgia just ain't what it used to be.

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl