POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yes, that time Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:17:15 EDT (-0400)
  Yes, that time (Message 51 to 60 of 179)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Yes, that time
Date: 17 Jun 2008 10:07:51
Message: <4857c537@news.povray.org>
> Seriously, is it normal for LCDs to get warm during operation?

If they have a backlight, yes, because LEDs and CCFLs are only about 10%
efficient at converting electrical energy to visible light.  A typical
monitor might need around 5W of backlighting power, most of that is
converted to heat.

> ...is 50 N a lot?

About 5 kg.  Significantly higher than the force you usually use to
write/press with.

> Heee, do you remember the old laptops with the blue/purple monochrome
> LCDs? Where if you touched the screen, the whole picture rippled slightly?

They still do, if you don't have any protection on the front.  My two
monitors and my laptop screen here certainly do.

> [Actually, our photocopier has a display like that. And I think it needs a
> screen saver, cos some of the controls are well burnt into it! I didn't
> think LCDs could "burn" like that?]

They can if you don't keep the average voltage across each pixel exactly
zero volts.  A bad/cheap driving circuit can easily allow enough of a DC
voltage to start to screw things up after years of operation.  However
usually the burn-in is not permanent, and disappears after some period (can
be up to an hour or so with very slow displays).  Must admit I don't know
the details because the displays we work on are not allowed to have any
visible burn-in at all.

Post a reply to this message

>> Seriously, is it normal for LCDs to get warm during operation?
>
> If they have a backlight, yes, because LEDs and CCFLs are only about 10%
> efficient at converting electrical energy to visible light.  A typical
> monitor might need around 5W of backlighting power, most of that is
> converted to heat.

the bottom?

>> ...is 50 N a lot?
>
> About 5 kg.  Significantly higher than the force you usually use to
> write/press with.

5 Kg? Yeah, that is quite a bit... [Hmm, I wonder how much a human arm
weighs?]

>> Heee, do you remember the old laptops with the blue/purple monochrome
>> LCDs? Where if you touched the screen, the whole picture rippled
>> slightly?
>
> They still do, if you don't have any protection on the front.  My two
> monitors and my laptop screen here certainly do.

*pokes it* Oh yeah, mine too. :-)

But it's not blue and purple. It's real colour. Even *our* equipment
isn't *that* ancient. ;-)

>> [Actually, our photocopier has a display like that. And I think it
>> needs a screen saver, cos some of the controls are well burnt into it!
>> I didn't think LCDs could "burn" like that?]
>
> They can if you don't keep the average voltage across each pixel exactly
> zero volts.  A bad/cheap driving circuit can easily allow enough of a DC
> voltage to start to screw things up after years of operation.  However
> usually the burn-in is not permanent, and disappears after some period
> (can be up to an hour or so with very slow displays).  Must admit I
> don't know the details because the displays we work on are not allowed
> to have any visible burn-in at all.

Well, it *is* a 2-year old photocopier. And it runs 24/7. (Although
actually after a while it goes into a power-save mode where IIRC the LCD
shuts down too.) That's a touch-sensitive display, come to think of it.
But it doesn't ripple all that much... hmm.

I wonder... If you wanted to go all mad-scientist, how hard would it be
to concoct a chemical which forms a vaguely-functional LCD?

[NB. I once tried to make an oscilator at school. The damn thing never
actually produced any sound. It did, however, heat up the two power
transistors with remarkable efficiency - I would never have believed
that 9V was enough to burn your finger on...]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/