POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yes, that time : Re: Yes, that time Server Time
7 Sep 2024 23:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yes, that time
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Jun 2008 10:19:49
Message: <4857c805@news.povray.org>
>> Seriously, is it normal for LCDs to get warm during operation?
>
> If they have a backlight, yes, because LEDs and CCFLs are only about 10%
> efficient at converting electrical energy to visible light.  A typical
> monitor might need around 5W of backlighting power, most of that is
> converted to heat.

the bottom?

>> ...is 50 N a lot?
>
> About 5 kg.  Significantly higher than the force you usually use to
> write/press with.

5 Kg? Yeah, that is quite a bit... [Hmm, I wonder how much a human arm
weighs?]

>> Heee, do you remember the old laptops with the blue/purple monochrome
>> LCDs? Where if you touched the screen, the whole picture rippled
>> slightly?
>
> They still do, if you don't have any protection on the front.  My two
> monitors and my laptop screen here certainly do.

*pokes it* Oh yeah, mine too. :-)

But it's not blue and purple. It's real colour. Even *our* equipment
isn't *that* ancient. ;-)

>> [Actually, our photocopier has a display like that. And I think it
>> needs a screen saver, cos some of the controls are well burnt into it!
>> I didn't think LCDs could "burn" like that?]
>
> They can if you don't keep the average voltage across each pixel exactly
> zero volts.  A bad/cheap driving circuit can easily allow enough of a DC
> voltage to start to screw things up after years of operation.  However
> usually the burn-in is not permanent, and disappears after some period
> (can be up to an hour or so with very slow displays).  Must admit I
> don't know the details because the displays we work on are not allowed
> to have any visible burn-in at all.

Well, it *is* a 2-year old photocopier. And it runs 24/7. (Although
actually after a while it goes into a power-save mode where IIRC the LCD
shuts down too.) That's a touch-sensitive display, come to think of it.
But it doesn't ripple all that much... hmm.

I wonder... If you wanted to go all mad-scientist, how hard would it be
to concoct a chemical which forms a vaguely-functional LCD?

[NB. I once tried to make an oscilator at school. The damn thing never
actually produced any sound. It did, however, heat up the two power
transistors with remarkable efficiency - I would never have believed
that 9V was enough to burn your finger on...]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/