POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How well do you know the world? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:22:54 EDT (-0400)
  How well do you know the world? (Message 11 to 20 of 34)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: How well do you know the world?
Date: 14 Jun 2008 12:10:37
Message: <q5r754to5oecbljglgsnb1jelo4b7dbjmo@4ax.com>
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 17:49:34 +0200, "Gail Shaw"
<initialsurname@sentech sa dot com> wrote:

>"Stephen" <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom> wrote in message
>> >
>> I think that I agree with Andrew about the scale. I was over 100 km
>> from London and I live there ;)
>
>I was considering anything under 100km to be spot on. Sure it could be
>bigger. Doesn't make it easy though. Harder if anything.
>On some of the later levels, just finding the country's a challenge. Let
>alone the city or point within the country

I got Jo'burg and Cape town mixed up also Vancouver and Toronto even
after using Vancouver as a base in my job before last :(
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 14 Jun 2008 12:48:49
Message: <4853F670.1080608@ieee.org>
Gail Shaw wrote:
> A quiz game that tests your knowledge of cities and places across the world.
>
> http://minijuegos.com/juegos/html/index.php?id=5974
>
> I got to level 8 out of 10, but only got 26000 points in that level. You
> need 30000 to go to the next level.

	Got to level 11 but no further.

Total 445229
Score in Level 11: 43960 (need 55000)

	I played the game some months ago and didn't do near as well back then.

	I'm sure I can do better in terms of the overall score (made some dumb
mistakes in the earlier levels because I was trying to go too fast) -
not sure I can make it to level 12, though. Even getting to 11 may have
been a fluke. As Andrew suggested, I for the most part knew where a lot
of the countries were and just clicked randomly in that region.

	I tried to cheat. I agree that the map/scale is too small. So I tried
to edit the HTML to make it bigger - by saving the file to the HD.
However, it didn't work - the game only works from specific domains (I
guess they didn't want people stealing their games and putting it on
their site).

--
Hipatitis: Terminal coolness.

                     /\  /\               /\  /
                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Date: 14 Jun 2008 15:08:27
Message: <4854172b$1@news.povray.org>
Gail Shaw wrote:
> A quiz game that tests your knowledge of cities and places across the world.
>
> http://minijuegos.com/juegos/html/index.php?id=5974
>
> I got to level 8 out of 10, but only got 26000 points in that level. You
> need 30000 to go to the next level.

Fun 'test'
I got to Level 8 also.
Interesting what you 'know' without realizing it.  When's the last time
I actually thought about where Perth, Australia is? Yet I snapped to the
west coast of the continent w/o thinking.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 14 Jun 2008 15:20:57
Message: <48541a19@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:

> Fun 'test'

Not really - unless you *enjoy* loosing, that is...

> Interesting what you 'know' without realizing it.

I wrote a long post one this once - I forget where now.

For example, how many "well-known" animals can you name in a few
minutes? The list turns out to be surprisingly extensive...

> When's the last time
> I actually thought about where Perth, Australia is? Yet I snapped to the
> west coast of the continent w/o thinking.

Psh. ALL Austalian civilisation is on the coast somewhere - nobody is
insane enough to live in the desert interior... ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Stephen
Date: 14 Jun 2008 15:54:34
Message: <058854hvq3neoepcvtmk5nsi7at0qvrp5i@4ax.com>
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 20:20:56 +0100, Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull>
wrote:

> Austalian civilisation

Is that not antipodal or a contradiction in terms :-)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 14 Jun 2008 17:10:14
Message: <485433E8.8000404@hotmail.com>
Stephen wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 13:20:32 +0200, "Gail Shaw"
> <initialsurname@sentech sa dot com> wrote:
>
>> "Orchid XP v8" <voi### [at] devnull> wrote in message
>>
>>> Similarly, if it asks you for... oh... *any* place in England, just
>>> click on England. The cursor is bigger than the whole damn country, so
>>> there's not much possibility of aiming.
>> Seeing as I managed 10 km from Edinburgh for 1 question, and the difference
>> in score between 100 and 500 is large, not really.
>>
>> How far did you get?
>>

> I think that I agree with Andrew about the scale. I was over 100 km
> from London and I live there ;)
Seconded, 100+ from Amsterdam. I was closest for Riga in Latvia about 45
kilometers. Guess where I am going on monday ;)

> I scored a total of 108719 and got to level 4
level 10, 41xxxx points

Post a reply to this message

From: m a r c
Date: 14 Jun 2008 17:42:03
Message: <48543b2b@news.povray.org>

058854hvq3neoepcvtmk5nsi7at0qvrp5i@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 20:20:56 +0100, Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull>
> wrote:
>
>> Austalian civilisation
>
> Is that not antipodal or a contradiction in terms :-)
An oxymoron :-)

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 14 Jun 2008 17:59:00
Message: <jof854d4q2q26tnim813elk646bgp5kimp@4ax.com>
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 23:11:04 +0200, andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom>
wrote:

>> I scored a total of 108719 and got to level 4
>level 10, 41xxxx points

Show off :-)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 14 Jun 2008 18:13:32
Message: <485442BE.6060502@hotmail.com>
Stephen wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 23:11:04 +0200, andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom>
> wrote:
>
>>> I scored a total of 108719 and got to level 4
>> level 10, 41xxxx points
>
> Show off :-)
both pan and mueen claim to have got to level 11. (Ok, I am sure I could
get there too in my second try, so I won't attempt it. Besides I have to
pack my suitcase.)

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 14 Jun 2008 19:16:46
Message: <4854515e$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> both pan and mueen claim to have got to level 11.

"Yes, but you see, *these* maps go to eleven!"

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: