POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Microphones Server Time
10 Oct 2024 11:10:25 EDT (-0400)
  Microphones (Message 11 to 20 of 31)
From: m a r c
Subject: Re: Microphones
Date: 12 Jun 2008 09:47:35
Message: <485128f7@news.povray.org>

48512450$1@news.povray.org...

> Oh goodie. Now I need to find some power from somewhere. :-/
>
> --
Out of curiosity, whitch model is your additionnal soundcard?

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 12 Jun 2008 11:48:13
Message: <4851453d$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Mmm - I understand you can also make a mic out of a speaker. But it
> tends not to work well. ;-)

That's how the very first telephones worked. By the time they actually
got to something like a switchboard (i.e., telephone rather than
intercom) they figured they could separate the two.

> Hey, I wonder - can I use the alternator on my car to drive the car
> instead of recharge the battery? :-D

Yes. It's called a starter motor. ;-)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints:

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 12 Jun 2008 13:55:32
Message: <48516314$1@news.povray.org>
>> The pre-amp is probably expecting a real microphone, not one that needs
>> power.
>
> Some top-notch microphones need power :-)

I was going to say... it's usually only *expensive* mics that need power

only expensive studio equipment provides this power too...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Tim Attwood
Date: 13 Jun 2008 05:27:44
Message: <48523d90$1@news.povray.org>
> Hey, I wonder - can I use the alternator on my car to drive the car
> instead of recharge the battery? :-D

Probably with half a dozen, I'd guess they'd be 2 - 5 HP each,
would need a good DC to 3 phase controller of course.
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/alternator-motor-conversion-booklet-2959.html

It might be a cheap way to drive one of those carts they
get the HS students to race at the enviro-fairs.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 13 Jun 2008 05:48:17
Message: <48524261$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

>> Hey, I wonder - can I use the alternator on my car to drive the car
>> instead of recharge the battery? :-D
>
> Yes. It's called a starter motor. ;-)

The starter motor is designed to convert electric to kinetic. The
alternator is designed to convert kinetic to electric. I'm musing over
whether either device can do the *opposite* job. :-P

Actually, you laugh, but I did see a report about a car that has a giant
motor inside it that drives the wheels at low speeds, acts as a starter
motor to start the petrol engine when the car is moving fast enough, and
acts as an alternator to charge the batteries thereafter. Basically the
petrol engine only runs while the car is doing more than 20 MPH. The big
advantage being that waiting at traffic lights uses no fuel.

[Actually, having computed that my car uses 10^(-6) L of fuel per minute
even when it's flying down the road at 75 MPH, I wonder just how much
fuel it can possibly be wasting on tickover? And also, doesn't
repeatedly starting up a petrol engine waste fuel anyway?]

Last I heard the car never came to market. They were still playing with
the control software to try to figure out the most optimal algorithms...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Invisible
Date: 13 Jun 2008 05:59:31
Message: <48524503$1@news.povray.org>
m_a_r_c wrote:

> Out of curiosity, whitch model is your additionnal soundcard?

Behringer F-Control Audio FCA202 (I think!)

Unbalanced input impedance = 24 kΩ, max level = 2 dBV.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: scott
Date: 13 Jun 2008 06:30:42
Message: <48524c52$1@news.povray.org>
> Actually, you laugh, but I did see a report about a car that has a giant
> motor inside it that drives the wheels at low speeds,

A useful tip that (apparently) not many people know, is that if you've
broken down in a dangerous location you can use the starter motor to move
along at slow speeds in *any* car (ok maybe not in those american
automatics).  Just put it in 1st gear and try to start the engine - it will
allow you to move the car to a safer location (assuming you don't also have
a flat battery!).

> The big advantage being that waiting at traffic lights uses no fuel.

My car does that already - as soon as you are stationary, in neutral, and
let go of the clutch pedal, the engine stops.  And then as soon as you touch
the clutch pedal it restarts.  Apparently meant to save a few % of fuel when
driving in cities.

> [Actually, having computed that my car uses 10^(-6) L of fuel per minute
> even when it's flying down the road at 75 MPH,

Wow! What car do you have with such great fuel economy? ;-)

> I wonder just how much fuel it can possibly be wasting on tickover?

I had a Ford once that showed the fuel economy in realtime as you were
driving, but if you were stopped it switched to litres per hour, was
something like 1.5 litres per hour IIRC when stationary.  I rememeber
figuring out I could leave it running for a day or so until it used up a
full tank.

> And also, doesn't repeatedly starting up a petrol engine waste fuel
> anyway?]

Depends how warm the engine is and how often you restart it.  For a fully
warm engine I think that if you're going to let it idle for more than a few
seconds it's better to switch it off and restart.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 13 Jun 2008 07:27:45
Message: <485259b1$1@news.povray.org>
> A useful tip that (apparently) not many people know, is that if you've
> broken down in a dangerous location you can use the starter motor to
> move along at slow speeds in *any* car (ok maybe not in those american
> automatics).  Just put it in 1st gear and try to start the engine - it
> will allow you to move the car to a safer location (assuming you don't
> also have a flat battery!).

The thing I find interesting is that my car weighs easily enough to
crush every single bone on your body... and yet it's not actually that
hard to push it along a road. If it's parked on the drive and I need to
move it a few feet to open the guarage door or something, take the
brakes off and push it... it moves surprisingly easily for such a damn
heavy object. (I guess my wheel baring work really well?)

OTOH, if there's a hill... forget it.

(Also curios is the fact that the car doesn't accelerate when you drive
it down a hill... You'd think it would.)

>> The big advantage being that waiting at traffic lights uses no fuel.
>
> My car does that already - as soon as you are stationary, in neutral,
> and let go of the clutch pedal, the engine stops.

Mmm, interesting.

I would think this electric motor trickery probably also saves fuel on
low-speed manovers like trying to park. [Think how much you have to rev
the engine to make a car move that slowly...]

>> [Actually, having computed that my car uses 10^(-6) L of fuel per
>> minute even when it's flying down the road at 75 MPH,
>
> Wow! What car do you have with such great fuel economy? ;-)

...OK, so maybe it wasn't exactly 10^(-6). But it worked out to be some
absurdly small figure anyway.

>> I wonder just how much fuel it can possibly be wasting on tickover?
>
> something like 1.5 litres per hour IIRC when stationary.

Interesthing. I thought it would be smaller...

>> And also, doesn't repeatedly starting up a petrol engine waste fuel
>> anyway?]
>
> Depends how warm the engine is and how often you restart it.

I've always wanted to know... An engine is a mechanical device. So why
does temperature have any effect on anything?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: m a r c
Date: 13 Jun 2008 07:35:42
Message: <48525b8e$1@news.povray.org>

48524503$1@news.povray.org...
> m_a_r_c wrote:
>
>> Out of curiosity, whitch model is your additionnal soundcard?
>
> Behringer F-Control Audio FCA202 (I think!)
>
> Unbalanced input impedance = 24 k?, max level = 2 dBV.
>
> --
> http://blog.orphi.me.uk/
> http://www.zazzle.com/MathematicalOrchid*

this one then?
http://www.behringer.com/FCA202/index.cfm?lang=ENG

If I read correctly the specs sheet, it has a dual line input, no microphone
input.
you need a preamp providing plugin power to get your pc microphone working
with it.

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: m a r c
Date: 13 Jun 2008 08:18:32
Message: <48526598@news.povray.org>

485259b1$1@news.povray.org...
.

> I've always wanted to know... An engine is a mechanical device. So why
> does temperature have any effect on anything?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point :-)

Marc