POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Microphones : Re: Microphones Server Time
10 Oct 2024 13:12:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Microphones
From: Invisible
Date: 13 Jun 2008 07:27:45
Message: <485259b1$1@news.povray.org>
> A useful tip that (apparently) not many people know, is that if you've
> broken down in a dangerous location you can use the starter motor to
> move along at slow speeds in *any* car (ok maybe not in those american
> automatics).  Just put it in 1st gear and try to start the engine - it
> will allow you to move the car to a safer location (assuming you don't
> also have a flat battery!).

The thing I find interesting is that my car weighs easily enough to
crush every single bone on your body... and yet it's not actually that
hard to push it along a road. If it's parked on the drive and I need to
move it a few feet to open the guarage door or something, take the
brakes off and push it... it moves surprisingly easily for such a damn
heavy object. (I guess my wheel baring work really well?)

OTOH, if there's a hill... forget it.

(Also curios is the fact that the car doesn't accelerate when you drive
it down a hill... You'd think it would.)

>> The big advantage being that waiting at traffic lights uses no fuel.
>
> My car does that already - as soon as you are stationary, in neutral,
> and let go of the clutch pedal, the engine stops.

Mmm, interesting.

I would think this electric motor trickery probably also saves fuel on
low-speed manovers like trying to park. [Think how much you have to rev
the engine to make a car move that slowly...]

>> [Actually, having computed that my car uses 10^(-6) L of fuel per
>> minute even when it's flying down the road at 75 MPH,
>
> Wow! What car do you have with such great fuel economy? ;-)

...OK, so maybe it wasn't exactly 10^(-6). But it worked out to be some
absurdly small figure anyway.

>> I wonder just how much fuel it can possibly be wasting on tickover?
>
> something like 1.5 litres per hour IIRC when stationary.

Interesthing. I thought it would be smaller...

>> And also, doesn't repeatedly starting up a petrol engine waste fuel
>> anyway?]
>
> Depends how warm the engine is and how often you restart it.

I've always wanted to know... An engine is a mechanical device. So why
does temperature have any effect on anything?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/