POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Randomly-generated "Finnish" text Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:26:51 EDT (-0400)
  Randomly-generated "Finnish" text (Message 1 to 10 of 38)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Randomly-generated "Finnish" text
Date: 4 Jun 2008 16:46:32
Message: <4846ff28$1@news.povray.org>
http://blog.plover.com/lang/finnpar.html

I've never actually seen any text written in Finnish, so... does this
look even remotely plausible?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Warp
Subject: Re: Randomly-generated "Finnish" text
Date: 4 Jun 2008 18:03:14
Message: <48471122@news.povray.org>
> http://blog.plover.com/lang/finnpar.html

> I've never actually seen any text written in Finnish, so... does this
> look even remotely plausible?

  Any random text will pass as any random language if, as the article says,
"if the reader wasn't paying much attention".

  If you know even the least bit of Finnish, you'll start noticing oddities.
For example, in Finnish no word starts with two consonants (except for some
loan words, which usually tend to be fairly lengthy, such as for example
"traktori" or "professori", but certainly nothing like "tk?").

  Also no word will ever end in a "j" nor in a double consonant (I really
can't think of any exception to this, except maybe some obscure literal
loan words).

  Even if you knew nothing about Finnish, from a linguistic point of view
it could be a bit suspicious that there's absolutely no repeated words in
that piece of text. This is very rare in any language.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message