POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : When are they going to realise.. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:25:08 EDT (-0400)
  When are they going to realise.. (Message 11 to 20 of 66)
From: Doctor John
Subject: Re: When are they going to realise..
Date: 3 Jun 2008 15:20:41
Message: <48459989$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   That expression just sounded like sarcasm to me. I would be surprised
> if the author wrote it seriously.

Not sarcasm, irony; I agree with you however.

John

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 3 Jun 2008 15:24:08
Message: <48459a58$1@news.povray.org>
Gail Shaw wrote:

> Never? Have you ever had the pleasure of a chat with the Border Protection
> people at a US airport?

Yup. Several times and don't ask ...

> It's definitly making me reconsider visiting again.

You'll have to offer me serious money to get me to visit again

John

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: Gail Shaw
Date: 3 Jun 2008 15:37:50
Message: <48459d8e@news.povray.org>
"Doctor John" <doc### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> Gail Shaw wrote:
> >
> > Never? Have you ever had the pleasure of a chat with the Border
Protection
> > people at a US airport?
>
> Yup. Several times and don't ask ...

Twice for me. I found the guys in Seattle OK, and even willing to joke a
bit. The 'person' in Denver on the other hand...
Let's just say I don't like interregations at (for me) 2am after I've been
travelling for 28 hours

> You'll have to offer me serious money to get me to visit again

There's a conference I would like to attend in Seattle in November. At least
it's before the registration becomes compulsary.

Hmmm. Anyone know what the Canadian border's like on that side of the
continent?

Post a reply to this message

Doctor John <doc### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Warp wrote:
> >
> >   That expression just sounded like sarcasm to me. I would be surprised
> > if the author wrote it seriously.
> >

> Not sarcasm, irony; I agree with you however.

  Well, according to the dictionary:

sarcasm:
1.	harsh or bitter derision or irony.
2.	a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark

  I really think in this case "sarcasm" is more appropriate than the
more generic (and often milder) "irony".

  (Yeah, I love semantics. :P )

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message