POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quotable Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:15:21 EDT (-0400)
  Quotable (Message 21 to 30 of 179)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: Quotable
Date: 30 May 2008 14:06:48
Message: <48404266.1040608@hotmail.com>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>
>> "Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology"
>>     -- Larry Niven's corollary to Clarke's Third Law.
>
> How true it is... ;-)
>
> [...for example, I am speakin to a person I've never met, who is
> currently in a country I've never visited. Cavemen would be astounded!]

I think that one is covered by the original Third Law of Arthur C Clarke

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Date: 30 May 2008 16:16:49
Message: <484060b1$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>> "Real-world problems are simply degenerate cases of pure mathematical
>> problems."
>
>   Not related, but saw this today:
>
> "Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology"
>     -- Larry Niven's corollary to Clarke's Third Law.

   -- some other corollary to the 3rd Law.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.digitalartsuk.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 30 May 2008 17:05:53
Message: <j0r044t5nkgpm7upkaa08ed3nj1enpqd2n@4ax.com>
On Fri, 30 May 2008 16:16:48 -0400, Tim Cook <z99### [at] gmailcom>
wrote:

>Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
>   -- some other corollary to the 3rd Law.

Cook's corollary to the 3rd Law? :)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Date: 31 May 2008 02:27:08
Message: <4840efbc$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> Cook's corollary to the 3rd Law? :)

Nah, I found it somewhere on the web.

From: Chambers
Date: 31 May 2008 18:37:15
Message: <4841d31b@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> "Our government has kept us in a perpetual state of fear -- kept us in
> a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor -- with the cry of grave
> national emergency... Always there has been some terrible evil to
> gobble us up if we did not blindly rally behind it  by furnishing the
> exorbitant sums demanded.  Yet, in retrospect, these disasters seem
> never to have happened, seem never to have been quite real."
>         -- General Douglas MacArthur, 1957
>
> (Possibly one of the offensive cookies)

I've got a great book on Harry S Truman.  You should see what he said
about MacArthur.

Unfortunately, I'm too lazy to dig it out :(  Suffice it to say, he
called the guy an idiot.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 31 May 2008 15:36:22 -0700, Chambers wrote:

> andrel wrote:
>> "Our government has kept us in a perpetual state of fear -- kept us in
>> a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor -- with the cry of grave
>> national emergency... Always there has been some terrible evil to
>> gobble us up if we did not blindly rally behind it  by furnishing the
>> exorbitant sums demanded.  Yet, in retrospect, these disasters seem
>> never to have happened, seem never to have been quite real."
>>         -- General Douglas MacArthur, 1957
>>
>> (Possibly one of the offensive cookies)
>
> I've got a great book on Harry S Truman.  You should see what he said
> about MacArthur.

Is the book "The Fifties" by David Halberstam?  The quote that's listed
on wikiquote from there is about MacArthur's "Old soldiers never die"
speech - "Nothing but a d*mn bunch of BS" (paraphrased).

Jim

Post a reply to this message