POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quotable : Re: Quotable Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:17:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quotable
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Jun 2008 13:50:44
Message: <4842e174$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I would say that mathematics can always be used to represent reality
> when put in the proper context.

The fascinating thing to wonder about is ... why is this so?

Most people are so used to it that it's hard to even imagine a world
where this isn't true. Even the religious types try to come up with
"laws" that would govern the supernatural.

Of course, maybe that's just anthropogenic. If the universe didn't work
consistently, I'd (wild-ass) guess that it's likely that life capable of
wondering about it wouldn't have evolved.

And the thing about QED is there doesn't seem to be math at the bottom
level - it's random on an event-by-event basis. (Maybe there's a math
for that? I don't know of any. Statistics only deals with multiple events.)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"