POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small puzzle Server Time
9 Sep 2024 03:20:39 EDT (-0400)
  A small puzzle (Message 9 to 18 of 198)
<<< Previous 8 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: A small puzzle
Date: 16 May 2008 16:27:03
Message: <482dee17$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> There isn't a linear relationship between the rotational speed of the
> wheels and the speed of the engine.

Well that's news.

> If I take my foot off the gas, the engine revs drop.  The car may or may
> not slow down (depending on the road and the landscape).

Not true. The engine revs depend on the speed of the vehicle.

If you don't believe me, try rolling down a hill at 30, and then stick
the car into 1st gear. Watch the revs go through the roof, even though
you haven't touched the gas.

> Similarly, if I apply the brakes to a full stop, the engine doesn't die,
> it idles.

Um, yes it does. Unless...

> Then of course if you put the car in neutral, you've completely
> disengaged the engine from the wheels.

...you disenguage the engine from the wheels. Then there really isn't
any relationship. But as long as the car stays in the same gear, there
is a fixed relationship.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/