POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small puzzle : Re: A small puzzle Server Time
10 Oct 2024 09:31:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A small puzzle
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 16 May 2008 16:30:35
Message: <482deeeb$1@news.povray.org>
>> If I put my car into top gear and set the engine to 3,500 revolutions
>> per minute, my car travels forward at almost exactly 75 miles per hour.
>> So... how far forward does it travel for a single revolution of the engine??
>
>   Isn't this laughably simple to calculate?

Yes - *if* you can do things like compute 60/75 *mentally*. :-P And also
if you know how many yards there are in a mile, and all kinds of other
random stuff.

[I found myself wondering about this in the car on the way home.]

Now, if you have access to a *computer* - or even better, Google - then
yes, it becomes quite easy.

>   Given that I'm not sure which whacky units miles are divided into,
> I'll just convert those to more understandable units, so 75/(3500*60)
> miles is approximately 57.5 centimeters.

That's the number I arrived at too.

Google also tells me that 75 mph = 33 m/s. Which frankly seems really
damned fast. (!) I mean, my car is only, like, 4 m long or something...
That means the car covers almost 10x its own length in 1 second! o_O

No wonder hitting anything is an instant fatality...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/