POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small puzzle Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:13:45 EDT (-0400)
  A small puzzle (Message 41 to 50 of 198)
From: Tom Austin
Subject: Re: A different measure
Date: 19 May 2008 08:28:17
Message: <48317261$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Still, you'd think it would be possible to somehow take plants living
> today and transform their tissues into some kind of highly flammable
> hydrocardon with reasonably efficiency. This would seem the obvious
> sustainable solution.

They do something of the sort - Biodiesel
But that's what politicians are blaming on the food shortages and price
increases.  Go figure....

Tom

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 19 May 2008 08:29:52
Message: <483172c0$1@news.povray.org>
> They do something of the sort - Biodiesel
> But that's what politicians are blaming on the food shortages and price
> increases.  Go figure....

And for screwing up engines.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: A small puzzle
Date: 19 May 2008 08:55:42
Message: <483178cc@news.povray.org>
How about this classical physics problem:

  You drop a rock into a water well. Then you hear the splash. Exactly
10 seconds pass between you letting go of the rock and when you hear the
splash. How deep is the well?

  We can assume that air friction is negligible, that g = 9.81 m/s^2,
and that the speed of sound is 340 m/s.

  Don't just give the answer, also write your whole reasoning.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   How about this classical physics problem:
>
>   You drop a rock into a water well. Then you hear the splash. Exactly
> 10 seconds pass between you letting go of the rock and when you hear the
> splash. How deep is the well?
>
>   We can assume that air friction is negligible, that g = 9.81 m/s^2,
> and that the speed of sound is 340 m/s.
>
>   Don't just give the answer, also write your whole reasoning.

Hmm, takes me back to school.

10 = t(sound) + t(rockfall)

t(sound) = x/340 where x is the well depth

x = 1/2 * g * t(rockfall)^2
so
t(rockfall) = sqrt(2x/g)

substituting back in,

10 = x/340 + sqrt(2x/g)

sub y = sqrt(x), rearrange

(1/340)*y^2 + sqrt(2/g)*y - 10 = 0

solve quadratic for positive y, square y to get x

I get x = 393.25m, sounds about right but my arithmetic might be wonky.

Post a reply to this message