POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small puzzle : Re: A small puzzle Server Time
7 Sep 2024 23:24:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A small puzzle
From: Invisible
Date: 19 May 2008 10:42:04
Message: <483191bc$1@news.povray.org>
>> So d = -340 K + 3,400 = 4.905 K^2.
>>
>> At this point, I have insufficient knowledge of algebra to deduce a
>> solution, although obviously one exists.
>
> You should learn how to calculate the solution to equations like this,
> they come up everywhere:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratic_equation

Solving a single quadratic equation is trivial. Solving a pair of linear
equations is trivial. But I have no idea how to solve a pair of
equations where one is linear and the other isn't.

[Actually, I can still remember sitting down and deriving the quadratic
formula from first principles. It's quite instructive! Whoever it was
that figured out that A*B - 4*(A+B) = A-B is some kind of genius if you
ask me... The next day I tried to do the same with a cubic, but... uh...
failed.]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/