POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New speakers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:23:00 EDT (-0400)
  New speakers (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: St
Subject: New speakers
Date: 14 May 2008 09:26:21
Message: <482ae87d$1@news.povray.org>

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Subject: Re: New speakers
Date: 14 May 2008 09:28:12
Message: <482ae8ec@news.povray.org>
Wow, weird layout man... It wasn't like that when I posted it. Hmmm...

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 14 May 2008 15:09:54
Message: <482b3902$1@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:

I've been thinking about replacing my speakers; now I know what to get
:-) Where did they come from?

John

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 14 May 2008 15:39:13
Message: <482b3fe1$1@news.povray.org>
"Doctor John" <doc### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message

> I've been thinking about replacing my speakers; now I know what to get
> :-) Where did they come from?

     You've got a Maplin store somewhere near you John, take a look here:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=bxr1121&source=15&SD=Y

     The only thing that disappointed me a little is that the whole system
feeds off the mains with that BBB - But to me, it's worth it for 30 squid.
To me it's good enough, and I know there's better out there, but seriously,
I'm enjoying what I'm hearing for that money. I think it's worth it.

    If you get them, let me know your opinion?

     Damn, I said the 'squid' word... ;)

      ~Steve~

> John
>
> --
> I will be brief but not nearly so brief as Salvador Dali, who gave the
> world's shortest speech. He said, "I will be so brief I am already
> finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 14 May 2008 15:46:27
Message: <482b4193$1@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:

>     If you get them, let me know your opinion?

Consider it done. A good test will be Jefferson Starship - Dragonfly at
full volume (I found a torrent but no Sunfighter yet) :-)
>      Damn, I said the 'squid' word... ;)

BTW here's the sick squid I owe you :-D
BBTW When are you next in the Big Smoke?

John

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 14 May 2008 16:38:32
Message: <482b4dc8$1@news.povray.org>
> St. wrote:
>>
>>     If you get them, let me know your opinion?
>>

> Consider it done. A good test will be Jefferson Starship - Dragonfly at
> full volume (I found a torrent but no Sunfighter yet) :-)

    Jefferson Starship. Dragonfly. Simply amazing track, amazing group.
Haven't got it myself, but yeah, could do with listening to that again for
sure.

>>      Damn, I said the 'squid' word... ;)
>>

> BTW here's the sick squid I owe you :-D

  Haha! I'll keep you to that when I see you next! Dig deep buddy! :op

> BBTW When are you next in the Big Smoke?

   Sometime soon this Summer John? No kid, I'd love to have a get-together
again sometime, but I can't guarantee when because of home problems atm.
But, I need this kind of break because it's quality time for me. Yes?

   BTW, I think PovRay should organise a big convention somewhere for us
Povers - it's about time after all these years. I want to meet Sam
(especially), and Jim, Jim, Jaime, Janet (definately!), Thomas, and MANY
others around here too numerable to mention! :)

    Oh, and Gilles, lol. ;)

    Would be good, yeah? Damn, what a party that would be! :)

      ~Steve~

> John
>
> --
> I will be brief but not nearly so brief as Salvador Dali, who gave the
> world's shortest speech. He said, "I will be so brief I am already
> finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Attwood
Date: 14 May 2008 17:56:42
Message: <482b601a@news.povray.org>
Sounds reasonable, I really like my Logitech Z3
speakers though...
http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/review/839/logitech-z3-2-1-review
It sounds good, and it's really handy to have the big
volume knob, power button and headphone jack on
a separate box that can sit farther forward on the desk
where you can reach it easily.

All the online photos show silver and wood-grain,
mine is silver and black. I see used ones on Google
as low as $35. Though I think they're usually $60-$80.

The only problem I've ever had with it is bumping the
sub-woofer with my foot and hearing it hum and
squeal until the multi-pin plug is plugged in tight again.

Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Date: 15 May 2008 01:51:01
Message: <482bcf45$1@news.povray.org>
That BBB is known as a subwoofer :)

I've had these for about 8 months now; gotta say, I love 'em.  By far
the best "cheap" speakers I've ever owned!  (I paid just $25 US for
them, so I think I got a better deal).

The company has been around for quite a while; my first PC speakers 15+
years ago were Altec Lansing.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 15 May 2008 04:51:07
Message: <482bf97b$1@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:

>    BTW, I think PovRay should organise a big convention somewhere for us
> Povers - it's about time after all these years. I want to meet Sam
> (especially), and Jim, Jim, Jaime, Janet (definately!), Thomas, and MANY
> others around here too numerable to mention! :)
>
>     Oh, and Gilles, lol. ;)
>
>     Would be good, yeah? Damn, what a party that would be! :)

Wow - a room full of computer nerds. I can almost see it now... o_o

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: St
Date: 15 May 2008 14:26:46
Message: <482c8066$1@news.povray.org>
"Tim Attwood" <tim### [at] comcastnet> wrote in message
> Sounds reasonable, I really like my Logitech Z3
> speakers though...
> http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/review/839/logitech-z3-2-1-review
> It sounds good, and it's really handy to have the big
> volume knob, power button and headphone jack on
> a separate box that can sit farther forward on the desk
> where you can reach it easily.

    Yep, it seems like we have the same kind of setup, (certainly looks like
it, but I see yours are 40 watts, mine are 30 watts), so I guess we're
listening to near enough the same sound here. Having that volume knob close
is a good move imo, but my power-on button is actually on the sub-woofer
itself.

> All the online photos show silver and wood-grain,
> mine is silver and black. I see used ones on Google
> as low as $35. Though I think they're usually $60-$80.

   I'm glad you've got the silver and black version (if you prefer it),
because I don't like the look of the wood-grain version shown. Mine are just
black, no silver, which I'm happy with. :)

> The only problem I've ever had with it is bumping the
> sub-woofer with my foot and hearing it hum and
> squeal until the multi-pin plug is plugged in tight again.

 LOL, haven't done that yet, but I bet I do!! (Thanks for pointing it out
though, I'll remember it).

   ~Steve~