POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : shake reduction Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:17:11 EDT (-0400)
  shake reduction (Message 11 to 20 of 42)
From: Jim Charter
Subject: Re: shake reduction
Date: 12 May 2008 12:29:09
Message: <48287055$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 12 May 2008 06:54:26 -0400, Jim Charter wrote:
>

>>Jim Henderson wrote:
>>
>>>- looks like you've exceeded your
>>>daily bandwidth from the hosting provider,
>>
>>didn't realize that
>

> Still getting the message:
>
> The daily bandwidth limit for this customer has been exceeded. Try again
> after midnight, EST.
> Click here for more information.
>
> When going to that URL.  "Here" is a link, and it says nothing
> particularly useful (just links to the site's main page)
>
> Jim
I'm sorry Jim, it's a free hostings server.  I guess I don't get much
bandwidth for free.  :(

Working on an alternative...

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 May 2008 12:36:52
Message: <48287224@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 12 May 2008 12:29:05 -0400, Jim Charter wrote:

> I'm sorry Jim, it's a free hostings server.  I guess I don't get much
> bandwidth for free.
>
> Working on an alternative...

Understood.  FWIW, I've been pretty happy with Picasa for hosting
photos.  Would be happy to send you a gmail invite if that would help.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 May 2008 12:42:24
Message: <48287370$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 12 May 2008 12:36:52 -0400, Jim Henderson wrote:

> Would be happy to send you a gmail invite if that would help.

Or rather, I would if I had some - right now I don't seem to have any. :-(

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 12 May 2008 13:04:47
Message: <482878af$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 12 May 2008 12:42:24 -0400, Jim Henderson wrote:

> On Mon, 12 May 2008 12:36:52 -0400, Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> Would be happy to send you a gmail invite if that would help.
>
> Or rather, I would if I had some - right now I don't seem to have any.
> :-(
>
> Jim

I've got lots of gmail invites, if anyone wants one. Or I did at last
check, I'll make sure they are still there.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 May 2008 13:09:37
Message: <482879d1$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 12 May 2008 13:04:47 -0400, Sabrina Kilian wrote:

> On Mon, 12 May 2008 12:42:24 -0400, Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 12 May 2008 12:36:52 -0400, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>
>>> Would be happy to send you a gmail invite if that would help.
>>
>> Or rather, I would if I had some - right now I don't seem to have any.
>> :-(
>>
>> Jim
>
> I've got lots of gmail invites, if anyone wants one. Or I did at last
> check, I'll make sure they are still there.

Yeah, the last time I looked I had quite a few as well, but it seems
they're now randomly assigned.

But also anyone should be able to sign up without an invite.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 May 2008 12:44:45
Message: <482b16fd$1@news.povray.org>
They look good to me - like Warp, I like the feel of the second photo in
particular.  The night photo is interesting, but the light in the windows
is "blooming" a bit too much - I wonder if there's a good way to control
that, though, without making the rest of the photo too dark.  Might
almost be best to use exposure bracketing and composite the pictures
together.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Date: 14 May 2008 14:19:02
Message: <482b2d16$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> They look good to me - like Warp, I like the feel of the second photo in
> particular.  The night photo is interesting, but the light in the windows
> is "blooming" a bit too much - I wonder if there's a good way to control
> that, though, without making the rest of the photo too dark.  Might
> almost be best to use exposure bracketing and composite the pictures
> together.
Cool idea, I expect to be doing a fair number of the night shots.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 May 2008 16:09:54
Message: <482b4712$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 14 May 2008 14:18:52 -0400, Jim Charter wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> They look good to me - like Warp, I like the feel of the second photo
>> in particular.  The night photo is interesting, but the light in the
>> windows is "blooming" a bit too much - I wonder if there's a good way
>> to control that, though, without making the rest of the photo too dark.
>>  Might almost be best to use exposure bracketing and composite the
>> pictures together.
> Cool idea, I expect to be doing a fair number of the night shots.

IIRC, I've read about some newer cameras that will do an exposure bracket
in a single shot; I know there are some that will also write to dual
formats simultaneously, so you can have raw data and jpeg data; if your
camera does raw captures (which usually does require manual settings IME,
though - which may not work well for your situation), that would give you
a lot more flexibility in fine-tuning the exposure settings as part of
post-processing.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 15 May 2008 08:52:42
Message: <482c321a$1@news.povray.org>
> composite the pictures together.

  Somehow I have never liked that type of post-processing in photography.
It gives me the feeling that the photo has been faked.

  It's a bit like you took an image rendered with povray and then added
some lens flare effect with photoshop and then called it a "povray image".
Yes, part of the image was made with povray, but part of the effect has
been "faked", so it's not a pure povray image. It feels kind of cheating.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 15 May 2008 14:44:39
Message: <482c8497$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2008 14:18:52 -0400, Jim Charter wrote:
>
>> Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> They look good to me - like Warp, I like the feel of the second photo
>>> in particular.  The night photo is interesting, but the light in the
>>> windows is "blooming" a bit too much - I wonder if there's a good way
>>> to control that, though, without making the rest of the photo too dark.
>>>  Might almost be best to use exposure bracketing and composite the
>>> pictures together.
>> Cool idea, I expect to be doing a fair number of the night shots.
>
> IIRC, I've read about some newer cameras that will do an exposure bracket
> in a single shot; I know there are some that will also write to dual
> formats simultaneously, so you can have raw data and jpeg data; if your
> camera does raw captures (which usually does require manual settings IME,
> though - which may not work well for your situation), that would give you
> a lot more flexibility in fine-tuning the exposure settings as part of
> post-processing.
>
> Jim

A quick googling says the A30 doesn't shoot in RAW format. There might
be a firmware hack somewhere, but it seems this is the main Pentax
camera, and if none of them have RAW capabilities then it isn't likely
this one would either.

I would be surprised if it did not have some way to automatically shoot
bracketed exposures. Google again says it can shoot +-0.3 to +-2
exposures automatically, somewhere in the drive menu options. Even if
you don't composite the images, using that will make it easier to get
the right exposure if you are just clicking off pictures.