POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This year's new vintage Server Time
17 May 2024 23:01:29 EDT (-0400)
  This year's new vintage (Message 7 to 16 of 16)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: This year's new vintage
Date: 11 Jul 2008 09:44:26
Message: <487763ba@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> I thought that the entire OS was loaded with patents precisely for the
> purpose of preventing anybody else implementing something compatible
> with it.

  In how many countries do you think breaking an US patent is illegal?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 11 Jul 2008 10:18:55
Message: <48776bcf$1@news.povray.org>
>> I thought that the entire OS was loaded with patents precisely for the
>> purpose of preventing anybody else implementing something compatible
>> with it.
>
>   In how many countries do you think breaking an US patent is illegal?

Most of them? (Or rather, most of the ones that have computers anyway...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Darren New
Date: 11 Jul 2008 11:32:25
Message: <48777d09$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>> I thought that the entire OS was loaded with patents precisely for the
>> purpose of preventing anybody else implementing something compatible
>> with it.
>
>   In how many countries do you think breaking an US patent is illegal?

Sufficiently rich companies file their patents in all the countries of
interest.

Of course, in most countries, you actually have to describe what you do
in the patent, and it isn't a violation of a patent if someone does the
same thing in a different way.  Sadly, the US got heads wedged between
buttocks when it comes to that too, at this point.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints:

> >   In how many countries do you think breaking an US patent is illegal?

> Most of them? (Or rather, most of the ones that have computers anyway...)

  So the US is now some kind of supernation which laws apply to all the
other countries as well?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Sufficiently rich companies file their patents in all the countries of
> interest.

  Except that in Europe software patents are invalid and unenforceable.

> Of course, in most countries, you actually have to describe what you do
> in the patent, and it isn't a violation of a patent if someone does the
> same thing in a different way.  Sadly, the US got heads wedged between
> buttocks when it comes to that too, at this point.

  And in most countries you can only patent real inventions which have
working prototypes and are economically/industrially feasible. For example
this patent would never go through in Europe:

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6960975.html

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   So the US is now some kind of supernation which laws apply to all the
> other countries as well?

*insert cynical political remarks here*

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>   So the US is now some kind of supernation which laws apply to all the
> other countries as well?

No. We just act that way. ;-)