POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Error mesage Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:14:47 EDT (-0400)
  Error mesage (Message 21 to 30 of 36)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 6 Messages >>>
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Error mesage
Date: 2 May 2008 12:52:34
Message: <481b46d2$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   From the compiler's point of view the implementation of this is rather
> simple: All the function parameters are pushed onto the stack, and then
> the foo() function simply pops them from the stack.

Well, technically, the foo() function indexes into the stack (with a
compiler-provided macro to move the stack pointer into a pointer
variable, basically), and then whoever called foo() has to pop the
arguments. Which is one reason you don't see many "ret N" instructions
in compiled C code - the callee never knows how many arguments the
caller pushed.  (Altho you'd think that's something the compiler could
optimize if you didn't have a variable numbers of arguments for a
particular function.)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"