POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : STRESS! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:16:07 EDT (-0400)
  STRESS! (Message 31 to 40 of 106)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: STRESS!
Date: 25 Apr 2008 14:38:10
Message: <48122512@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:40:03 EDT, "Kirk Andrews"
> <kir### [at] tektonartcom> wrote:
>
>> I've never spent much time
>> down here in the off-topic forum, but it seems there's a lively little
>> community thriving down here, hiding at the bottom of the newsgroup list.
>>

> Yes, hiding in the dungeons out of sight of the mortals :)

No, that would be the two Haskell groups that sort below this one. ;-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"

From: Darren New
Date: 25 Apr 2008 14:40:50
Message: <481225b2$1@news.povray.org>
Kirk Andrews wrote:
> How about linguists, artists, and theologians?  Do you have room for those down
> here?  :)

Wouldn't artists actually not be off-topic? :-)

From: Warp
Date: 25 Apr 2008 15:01:07
Message: <48122a72@news.povray.org>
> With great responsibility comes great power

  Wasn't it the other way around?-)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 25 Apr 2008 15:03:13
Message: <48122af1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Kirk Andrews wrote:
>> How about linguists, artists, and theologians?  Do you have room for
>> those down
>> here?  :)
>
> Wouldn't artists actually not be off-topic? :-)

Whatever makes you think that PoV has got anything to do with art? ;-)

John

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 25 Apr 2008 15:11:59
Message: <48122cff$1@news.povray.org>
>> I've been wondering to myself... if me and Warp ever met IRL, would we
>> end up having a long intelligent conversation, or would one of us be
>> hospitalised? ;-)
>
>   Given that we are rather antisocial I bet our "conversation" would just
> be full of awkward periods of silence.

Mmm, perhaps.

>> [Actually, I gather that Warp's spoken English isn't as good as his
>> written English, so maybe nothing much at all would happen. But who knows?]
>
>   It could be a good way to pratice, though.

I won't argue with that...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 25 Apr 2008 15:12:18
Message: <48122d12$1@news.povray.org>
>> Yes, hiding in the dungeons out of sight of the mortals :)
>
> No, that would be the two Haskell groups that sort below this one. ;-)

0wned.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 25 Apr 2008 15:13:07
Message: <48122d43$1@news.povray.org>
Doctor John wrote:

> As long as you don't mind having to sit on the floor cushions :-)

Ooo, floor cushions!

How about beanie bags??

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 25 Apr 2008 15:15:55
Message: <48122deb$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> With great responsibility comes great power
>
>   Wasn't it the other way around?-)

Well as you both know, it *should* be that the two come together - you
are held responsible for that which you actually have power over. But -
as I'm sure you're also both aware - this is sadly not always the case...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 25 Apr 2008 15:17:22
Message: <48122e42$1@news.povray.org>
Mike the Elder wrote:

> Pretty much everything I have to say here is pretty obvious stuff that you've
> very likely thought of yourself at one point or another.  I do believe,
> however, that it can be helpful at times like this to have an objective third
> party assist in directing one's focus.
>
> 1. Even though we often have very little choice with regard to what kinds of
> demands and complications life is going to throw at us, we ALWAYS have a choice
> as to how far we are going to internalize the chaos of the outside world and
> allow it to disturb our peace of mind.  The company may own a big chunk of your
> time, but they own zero percent of your heart and mind unless you choose to deed
> it to them. Choose not to.
>
> 2. This may sound simplistic, but it works. Take several slow deep breaths, do
> some basic muscle stretching and make sure you drink enough water to be fully
> hydrated.  Attending to the basics of relieving the physical aspects of stress
> can do wonders to help your mental focus so that you can deal more effectively
> with the more complicated cognitive and emotional aspects.
>
> 3. This bit probably won't be of much help today, but it can be of great benefit
> in the future.  Nearly every technically and academically oriented person I am
> acquainted with can tell you all of the scientific principles that explain why
> one needs keep a regular sleep schedule and eat food made from real food
> instead of junk food. Virtually none of them do it.  Making up your mind to
> actually *DO* all of those basic things that you already know about in terms of
> physically relieving stress and fatigue will have ENORMOUS benefits.

Heh. Thanks.

For some reason, I'm reminded of this:

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=858

[Bottom pannel.]

...and actually, just before I posted this, I got called downstairs for
the food thing. I just ate an entire cake! I feel much happier now! :-D

PS. The cake is a lie.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Doctor John
Date: 25 Apr 2008 15:18:26
Message: <48122e82$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Doctor John wrote:
>
>> As long as you don't mind having to sit on the floor cushions :-)
>
> Ooo, floor cushions!
>
> How about beanie bags??

What? ...and let you youngsters start fighting over who gets one?
No way :-D

John

finished," then he sat down.