POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : STRESS! : Re: STRESS! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 23:23:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: STRESS!
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 25 Apr 2008 15:17:22
Message: <48122e42$1@news.povray.org>
Mike the Elder wrote:

> Pretty much everything I have to say here is pretty obvious stuff that you've
> very likely thought of yourself at one point or another.  I do believe,
> however, that it can be helpful at times like this to have an objective third
> party assist in directing one's focus.
>
> 1. Even though we often have very little choice with regard to what kinds of
> demands and complications life is going to throw at us, we ALWAYS have a choice
> as to how far we are going to internalize the chaos of the outside world and
> allow it to disturb our peace of mind.  The company may own a big chunk of your
> time, but they own zero percent of your heart and mind unless you choose to deed
> it to them. Choose not to.
>
> 2. This may sound simplistic, but it works. Take several slow deep breaths, do
> some basic muscle stretching and make sure you drink enough water to be fully
> hydrated.  Attending to the basics of relieving the physical aspects of stress
> can do wonders to help your mental focus so that you can deal more effectively
> with the more complicated cognitive and emotional aspects.
>
> 3. This bit probably won't be of much help today, but it can be of great benefit
> in the future.  Nearly every technically and academically oriented person I am
> acquainted with can tell you all of the scientific principles that explain why
> one needs keep a regular sleep schedule and eat food made from real food
> instead of junk food. Virtually none of them do it.  Making up your mind to
> actually *DO* all of those basic things that you already know about in terms of
> physically relieving stress and fatigue will have ENORMOUS benefits.

Heh. Thanks.

For some reason, I'm reminded of this:

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=858

[Bottom pannel.]

...and actually, just before I posted this, I got called downstairs for
the food thing. I just ate an entire cake! I feel much happier now! :-D

PS. The cake is a lie.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/