POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Feeling the pinch yet? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:19:36 EDT (-0400)
  Feeling the pinch yet? (Message 21 to 30 of 53)
From: Gail Shaw
Subject: Re: Feeling the pinch yet?
Date: 21 Mar 2008 10:19:01
Message: <47e3d1e5@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:47e3be80$2@news.povray.org...

> > Oh well, it could be worse.
>
>    :oO  60%! I didn't know that. That's bad news.  :o/

Well, currently SA has about the cheapest electricity in the world, so isn't
as bad as it sounds. The regular blackouts are far more of a problem.
From what I hear, if they do hike the price that much, our electricity will
be around the same price as in Canada.

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 21 Mar 2008 10:23:39
Message: <47e3d2fb@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <gil### [at] agroparistechfr> wrote in message

> 47e3be7f$1@news.povray.org...
>
>>      Ah well, that would explain why it hasn't been done yet, but I still
>> think that with our great engineering brains, it 'might' be possible.
>
> As Gail said, not without breaking the laws of thermodynamics as we
> understand them, so it would require a little more than engineering
> brains.
> However, this never stopped people to create "perpetual" motion engines
> that were always eventually proved to be either hoaxes/scams, or genuine
> but not working, or working but not actually perpetual (i.e. requiring an
> external energy source to work).

Yes, I've just done a little reading about PMM's and thermodynamics was
mentioned quite a lot. I don't know, I can see that yes, there would be a
problem with heat, but what about other materials? I know that PTFE is one
of the slipperiest plastics out there, but then of course, you wouldn't have
the strength.

  By the way, I think I remember on an old Tomorrows World program (late
70's?) that an oil-less car engine had been produced, (still needed petrol

per unit. I wonder what happened to that?

    ~Steve~

> G.
>

> --
> http://www.oyonale.com
> - Graphic experiments
> - POV-Ray, Cinema 4D and Poser computer images
> - Posters

Post a reply to this message