POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Feeling the pinch yet? : Re: Feeling the pinch yet? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:21:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feeling the pinch yet?
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 21 Mar 2008 10:43:18
Message: <47e3d796@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:47e3d2fb@news.povray.org...

> Yes, I've just done a little reading about PMM's and thermodynamics was
> mentioned quite a lot. I don't know, I can see that yes, there would be a
> problem with heat, but what about other materials? I know that PTFE is one
> of the slipperiest plastics out there, but then of course, you wouldn't
have
> the strength.

Heat's just the loss of energy from the system. Even if you have a
frictionless material, you cannot create energy. Say we have found a
frictionless material (or one with such low friction it's barely noticable)

Say a fully wound spring as an amount of energy in it (X joules). You use
that to increase the speed of a vehicle, (using Y joules where X<Y), then
all you have left to rewind the second spring is the left over (X-Y)

Energy can never be created or destroyed. It can only be converted from one
form to another - 1st law of thermodynamics