POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A comparison Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:24:16 EDT (-0400)
  A comparison (Message 31 to 35 of 35)
From: Eero Ahonen
Subject: Re: A comparison
Date: 20 Mar 2008 11:52:57
Message: <47e29669$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

>> And delivered years later ;). If they had written it in Haskell,
>> they'd actually had to rewrite it from the scratch (I'm pretty sure
>> they've reused lots of code from earlier versions). Bye-bye for old
>> bugs, yes. Welcome for new bugs, also yes.
>
> Well, I'm told they rewrote a lot of it already, but yeah, you're
> probably right...

Surely yes, lots and lots of new code (hence lots and lots of new
bugs;). But as far as I understand economic world of programming, it can
easily be cheaper to loan (working) code from earlier version than
rewrite from scratch (eg. some tiny applications that don't actually
change - that would mean rewriting the *same* code again, which is
simply stupid).

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net

Post a reply to this message

>>> And delivered years later ;). If they had written it in Haskell,
>>> they'd actually had to rewrite it from the scratch (I'm pretty sure
>>> they've reused lots of code from earlier versions). Bye-bye for old
>>> bugs, yes. Welcome for new bugs, also yes.
>>
>> Well, I'm told they rewrote a lot of it already, but yeah, you're
>> probably right...
>>

> Surely yes, lots and lots of new code (hence lots and lots of new
> bugs;).

They re-wrote the network stack, and on initial betas, apparently they
had re-introduced bugs that had been fixed in Win95. (like a ping packet
forged to look like it came *from* 127.0.0.1 caused a kernel-mode
infinite loop, locking up the system badly)

Post a reply to this message

> They re-wrote the network stack, and on initial betas, apparently they
> had re-introduced bugs that had been fixed in Win95. (like a ping packet
> forged to look like it came *from* 127.0.0.1 caused a kernel-mode
> infinite loop, locking up the system badly)

History repeats itself :).

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net
       aer### [at] removethiszbxtnetinvalid

Post a reply to this message

>> They re-wrote the network stack, and on initial betas, apparently they
>> had re-introduced bugs that had been fixed in Win95. (like a ping
>> packet forged to look like it came *from* 127.0.0.1 caused a
>> kernel-mode infinite loop, locking up the system badly)
>
> History repeats itself :).

Or "Micro$oft still hasn't learned how to write a network stack properly
even after 10 years", whichever you prefer...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/