POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A comparison : Re: A comparison Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:17:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A comparison
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 20 Mar 2008 11:52:57
Message: <47e29669$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

>> And delivered years later ;). If they had written it in Haskell,
>> they'd actually had to rewrite it from the scratch (I'm pretty sure
>> they've reused lots of code from earlier versions). Bye-bye for old
>> bugs, yes. Welcome for new bugs, also yes.
>
> Well, I'm told they rewrote a lot of it already, but yeah, you're
> probably right...

Surely yes, lots and lots of new code (hence lots and lots of new
bugs;). But as far as I understand economic world of programming, it can
easily be cheaper to loan (working) code from earlier version than
rewrite from scratch (eg. some tiny applications that don't actually
change - that would mean rewriting the *same* code again, which is
simply stupid).

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net