POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ray tracers and transformations Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:22:59 EDT (-0400)
  Ray tracers and transformations (Message 1 to 10 of 21)
From: Severi Salminen
Subject: Ray tracers and transformations
Date: 13 Mar 2008 16:21:42
Message: <47d99ae6$1@news.povray.org>
I have a "fully" working path tracer under development. The next thing
to implement is transformations (at least translate and rotate). What is
the best (fastest) way to do it?

Let's take box for example. Now I have a method for calculating
axis-aligned box intersections. So if I rotate the box how should I
proceed?

I was thinking that maybe I should not rotate the box, but rotate the
ray so that I can use the fast AABox intersection routines. And then I
get intersection point and surface normal, which I rotate back to world
space?

Am I missing something here and is the the best way to do it?

Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

> I have a "fully" working path tracer under development. The next thing
> to implement is transformations (at least translate and rotate). What is
> the best (fastest) way to do it?
>
> Let's take box for example. Now I have a method for calculating
> axis-aligned box intersections. So if I rotate the box how should I
> proceed?
>
> I was thinking that maybe I should not rotate the box, but rotate the
> ray so that I can use the fast AABox intersection routines. And then I
> get intersection point and surface normal, which I rotate back to world
> space?
>
> Am I missing something here and is the the best way to do it?

As far as I know, the way POV-Ray does it (and probably most others) is
by creating a transformation matrix of all the individual
transformations, then inversing it, and using it to transform *rays*
before doing the intersection calculations.

But don't trust me on this. I still haven't managed to solve the
ray-sphere intersection equation...

Post a reply to this message

> As far as I know, the way POV-Ray does it (and probably most others) is
> by creating a transformation matrix of all the individual
> transformations, then inversing it, and using it to transform *rays*
> before doing the intersection calculations.

I believe that is correct. (Transforming the object equation would be
much harder...)

> But don't trust me on this. I still haven't managed to solve the
> ray-sphere intersection equation...

Suppose you have a sphere with center C [a vector] and radius r [a
scalar]. The equation for this is

   (P - C)^2 - r^2 = 0

(Where squaring a vector *really* means taking the dot product of the
vector with itself.) Here P is your unknown - but it's a vector. If we
replace that with the ray equation

   Ray(t) = Dt + S

then we obtain

   (Dt + S - C)^2 - r^2 = 0

If we set V = S - C then we have

   (Dt + V)^2 - r^2 = 0

and expanding we find

   D^2t^2 + 2VDt + V^2 - r^2 = 0

Writing "#" to explicitly mean "dot product", what I really mean is

   (D # D) t^2 + 2 (V # D) t + (V # V) - r^2 = 0

Notice this is a quadratic in one unknown - t, a scalar. In fact, what
we have is

   a t^2 + b t + c = 0

where

   a = D # D
   b = 2 (V # D)
   c = (V # V) - r^2

Solving this yields a value for t which satisfies the equation. If you
substitute this t back into the original ray equation, it gives you a
point in space for the intersection.

Notice that if you compute multiple intersections, the one with the
lowest value for t is guaranteed to be the "front" one [assuming that S
is the "start point" of the ray. Oh, and if t is negative, the
intersection is "behind" the camera or whatever, and you should ignore
that intersection...]

Any clearer? ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/