POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ray tracers and transformations : Ray tracers and transformations Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  Ray tracers and transformations
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 13 Mar 2008 16:21:42
Message: <47d99ae6$1@news.povray.org>
I have a "fully" working path tracer under development. The next thing
to implement is transformations (at least translate and rotate). What is
the best (fastest) way to do it?

Let's take box for example. Now I have a method for calculating
axis-aligned box intersections. So if I rotate the box how should I
proceed?

I was thinking that maybe I should not rotate the box, but rotate the
ray so that I can use the fast AABox intersection routines. And then I
get intersection point and surface normal, which I rotate back to world
space?

Am I missing something here and is the the best way to do it?

Thanks.