POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Malware is getting nastier and more professional than ever Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:20:15 EDT (-0400)
  Malware is getting nastier and more professional than ever (Message 1 to 10 of 34)
From: Warp
Subject: Malware is getting nastier and more professional than ever
Date: 12 Mar 2008 07:18:05
Message: <47d7c9fc@news.povray.org>
http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00001393.html

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 12 Mar 2008 07:56:32
Message: <47d7d300@news.povray.org>
> http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00001393.html

Don't most BIOSs have some "prevent write to MBR" function?  Would malware
like this be able to get around that?

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 12 Mar 2008 08:02:29
Message: <47d7d465$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Don't most BIOSs have some "prevent write to MBR" function?

Ususally, yes. And usually, it's "off" by default. (When you unpack a
brand new PC, what's the first thing you do? Install an OS.)

> Would malware like this be able to get around that?

Unlikely. But this measure isn't commonly enabled.

More interesting is that it can touch the MBR from Windoze in the first
place...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:02:28 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> Ususally, yes. And usually, it's "off" by default. (When you unpack a
> brand new PC, what's the first thing you do? Install an OS.)

That depends on what type of machine you bought.  If you go out and
purchase a brand-name computer, the OS is already installed.

If you build your own, this is true, but most machines the OS is already
pre-installed.

Jim

Post a reply to this message